Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Tires (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f185/)
-   -   Best setup for towing? (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f185/best-setup-for-towing-47824.html)

bet_on_black 09-22-2012 08:39 PM

Best setup for towing?

I have a ~5000 lb boat that I plan to haul with my 08 WK. What would you recommend for the best suspension setup?

Monroe Load Levelers would be an easy upgrade but they lift the rear, so then should I lift the front as well? Or should I go lower with stiffer springs and shocks?

SweetWilliam 09-23-2012 09:00 PM

Re: Best setup for towing?

I love air bags on the rear for towing and hauling, used them for years. They let you tune ride height and firmness for any load inside or towing and still ride nice.

bet_on_black 09-23-2012 09:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SweetWilliam (Post 687550)
I love air bags on the rear for towing and hauling, used them for years. They let you tune ride height and firmness for any load inside or towing and still ride nice.

Thanks for the idea! I don't know anything about bags. Can they be plumbed in so they are automatic and/or controlled with a switch? Or do you just pump them up with a compressor before towing?

antsjeep 09-24-2012 09:49 AM

+1 for the airbags.

SweetWilliam 09-24-2012 09:10 PM

Either way. Spend the money for onboard compressor and you wont be sorry you did.
Or just run lines to schrader valves mounted on bumper.
Look up AirLiftcompany.com they have it all.

paroxysym 09-25-2012 01:45 PM

depends on your budget.....

i mean you could get throw a set of monroe load levelers in the rear and a XK rear spring and call it a day. or you can run air bags.

SweetWilliam 09-25-2012 06:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by paroxysym (Post 688291)

i mean you could get throw a set of monroe load levelers in the rear and a XK rear spring and call it a day. or you can run air bags.

They are an easier choice but the bags are infinitely adjustable for load plus you retain the stock ride if thats what you like.
Bags and line kit are cheap, adding compressor will up the money.

bet_on_black 09-26-2012 02:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by paroxysym (Post 688291)

I like the simplicity of the load levelers, though I'm not sure about making the rear even higher. Do the xk springs also add some lift?

paroxysym 09-26-2012 04:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bet_on_black (Post 688800)
I like the simplicity of the load levelers, though I'm not sure about making the rear even higher. Do the xk springs also add some lift?

im not 100% on them adding any lift, i do know they will be firmer as the XK had a 3rd seat and tow package (depending on the model). i figure even if i add the WK model specific load levelers and the xk coils, with a set of hemi coils and a leveling strut spacer- the front and rear may be off 1/2".. i can live with that, the 1" or more rake tends to annoy me.