Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee SRT - WK2 (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f97/)
-   -   3 Season Tires (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f97/3-season-tires-47851.html)

ECSZ06 09-23-2012 05:33 PM

3 Season Tires

My SRT8 jeep came with these from the factory. Can anyone tell me who has driven in snow how these tires are. I might try to get my dealer to swap them with all season. Thanks

mlarco52 09-23-2012 08:30 PM

Re: 3 Season Tires

Not good in the snow, I tried using mine, ended up using my escalade with snows to get through the winter.

ECSZ06 09-23-2012 08:33 PM

How were they went it was cold outside. They say dont use them if its below 40F. That sounds crazy.

mjw930 09-24-2012 07:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ECSZ06 (Post 687533)
How were they went it was cold outside. They say dont use them if its below 40F. That sounds crazy.

It's not crazy at all. The rubber compound on these and most new "summer" tires cannot come up to temperature below an ambient temp lower than 40F. That means they will not generate the traction needed to maintain safe operation. The new compounding is how they can achieve traction levels at higher temps that a decade ago was reserved to track tires that could "maybe" get 5000 miles of road use before they were on the cords. It's chemistry, not marketing.

mlarco52 09-24-2012 10:54 AM

They were't all that bad in the cold, I live up in BC and it did get in the negatives here bunch of times where especially where I went to University. They did alright in the cold and even the snow but not the greatest I'd use snow tires (if I didn't have another vehicle to get through it). However, if there's not much snow they're ok.

ECSZ06 09-24-2012 01:15 PM

Cool thanks again for your guys inputs. I think I will try to stick it out this winter and if it snows I just wont drive it. As long as they are ok when its cold. We dont get that much snow here in MD about 30 mins North of DC.

mjw930 09-24-2012 01:41 PM

FYI, they now have a dedicated winter tire.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....toModClar=SRT8

http://www.tirerack.com/images/tires...esno_ci2_l.jpg

Jeff_Jeske 10-10-2012 02:24 PM

Do any 18" rims fit over the caliper and rotor?

HAMMMERHEAD 10-10-2012 04:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mjw930 (Post 687691)
It's not crazy at all. The rubber compound on these and most new "summer" tires cannot come up to temperature below an ambient temp lower than 40F. That means they will not generate the traction needed to maintain safe operation. The new compounding is how they can achieve traction levels at higher temps that a decade ago was reserved to track tires that could "maybe" get 5000 miles of road use before they were on the cords. It's chemistry, not marketing.

I learned something today :)

elp_jc 10-11-2012 12:31 PM

I think it's ridiculous to even offer a freaking 4x4 SUV with summer tires. I have a set for sale with the Pirelli Scorpion Verde tires, which should be the only tire available. Folks, keep in mind there're about 20 different tire caterogies, and the optional P-Zeros (which I got) are 'max summer', which is just one category below the top, which is 'extreme summer'. And I had to pay $900 extra, or something like that. Only have 4K miles, and they're not going to last past 8K. The Scorpion Verdes are 'ultra high-performance all-season', which is the highest all-season category, and just a few notches below 'max summer'. THose tires are NOT for deep snow either, but at least they're 'M+S' rated, whcih means they're going to be decent. They're A LOT better in cold and wet conditions, and those tires provide all the performance you need for an SUV. By the way, there's nothing less than 'ultra high-performance all-season' tires available for the SRT sizes folks. Those winter tires shown above I doubt they're available in stock sizes, but could be wrong. If they are, keep in mind winter tires are at the opposite side of the spectrum, and those are only recommended for the snow belt. You eat them alive in dry pavement.

Finally, runflat tires are very heavy and much more expensive. At least the 2012 SRT I got came with spare and jack, just like the Overland, so will switch to the Yokohama ultra high-performance all-season next. Good luck.

Kadonny 10-11-2012 04:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by elp_jc (Post 695667)
I think it's ridiculous to even offer a freaking 4x4 SUV with summer tires. I have a set for sale with the Pirelli Scorpion Verde tires, which should be the only tire available. Folks, keep in mind there're about 20 different tire caterogies, and the optional P-Zeros (which I got) are 'max summer', which is just one category below the top, which is 'extreme summer'. And I had to pay $900 extra, or something like that. Only have 4K miles, and they're not going to last past 8K. The Scorpion Verdes are 'ultra high-performance all-season', which is the highest all-season category, and just a few notches below 'max summer'. THose tires are NOT for deep snow either, but at least they're 'M+S' rated, whcih means they're going to be decent. They're A LOT better in cold and wet conditions, and those tires provide all the performance you need for an SUV. By the way, there's nothing less than 'ultra high-performance all-season' tires available for the SRT sizes folks. Those winter tires shown above I doubt they're available in stock sizes, but could be wrong. If they are, keep in mind winter tires are at the opposite side of the spectrum, and those are only recommended for the snow belt. You eat them alive in dry pavement.

Finally, runflat tires are very heavy and much more expensive. At least the 2012 SRT I got came with spare and jack, just like the Overland, so will switch to the Yokohama ultra high-performance all-season next. Good luck.

But what about people who live in Florida, or Texas, or CA? No need for a an all season, right? I agree, the 3 seasons will last way less miles but I can see why they offer them.

I also will switch to the Yoko all season when my Verde's wear out. We have a spare and a jack, so a non run flat will be fine.....at half the price.

Mongoose9400 10-11-2012 04:27 PM

The summer tire is meant for performance...plain and simple! It gives you the ultimate performance in dry conditions.

Different people want different things from their Jeep. Some buy an SRT8 not to use it to its full potential, others push it to the limits. You need a tire that suits you and your driving habits.

Sent from my iPhone 5