Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee - WK2 - (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/)
-   -   How do I not be a "mileage nazi"? (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/how-do-i-not-be-a-mileage-nazi-47866.html)

RegularGolf 09-23-2012 09:03 PM

How do I not be a "mileage nazi"?

I have a problem. She is a '12 WK2 Laredo, my first brand new vehicle. My work commute is 80 miles round trip, so to offset the wear and tear I have a DD 1990 BMW 525i. Even so, every now and then I have to drive the Jeep to work. With a Montana winter coming I still don't want to drive my WK2 to work, but in reality the cost of winterizing both vehicles is off-putting, to say the least. Plus, the Jeep was simply built for harsh winter.

To add, I can't stomach the thought of finally paying off my Jeep only to have 75 - 100k on the clock (it would be more if I let my wife drive her).

So, for those of you who DD their WK2, what words of encouragement or advice can you give (apart from work closer to home!). How do I not be a mileage nazi!

Deception 09-23-2012 09:36 PM

Re: How do I not be a "mileage nazi"?

You purchased a brand new car, why would you not drive it? It's value is depreciating regardless whether it's driven or not.

berk483 09-23-2012 10:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deception (Post 687567)
You purchased a brand new car, why would you not drive it? It's value is depreciating regardless whether it's driven or not.

X2 ...I've got a 60 mile round trip to work and it's a great drive with my brand new 2013 Overland. Best part of my day is driving to and from work.

Sparro 09-23-2012 10:19 PM

Who cares about the mileage. You bought it to drive it, so drive it. It's not like its a lambo.

Maliberti 09-23-2012 10:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sparro (Post 687590)
Who cares about the mileage. You bought it to drive it, so drive it. It's not like its a lambo.

+1:thumbsup:

stashgto 09-23-2012 10:31 PM

I did that kind of mileage for 30 years in NYC where 10 miles can take a half an hour. I had a 70 Trans Am that did it really fast for some time, but gas was crazy. Boy did I have some great times in that talking about young dumb, and you know what-LOL. Then I brought Accords for a while which although better on gas, and parts were boring. Also working for the lighting Co. when the snow hits, or it's code red I've gotta make it 60 miles in a Honda. I think you've got a great vehicle to travel in it's a good mix of qualities. I know racking up the miles sucks, but like you said winter is coming. Relax won't it be nice to not worry in the Jeep. Maybe pick up a Sentra for the summertime.

Dan JGC 09-23-2012 11:14 PM

Drive what is safest - which is probably your GC, esp. in winter. You bought a GC to drive, not sit in the garage. :-)

ChrisOC 09-23-2012 11:18 PM

I get how you feel, 1600 miles a month just for work and say another 400 for weekend stuff will add up fast. I would still drive the Jeep, but maybe just switch off between them both. The jeep is also much safer vehicle than the bmw, so if you really need a justification, just tell yourself that if you get in an accident, you will most likely walk away with less injuries than in the bmw.

AAAA 09-24-2012 04:42 AM

Does the Jeep beat the BMW in mpg and grade of gas? If so, enough said.

Dasher 09-24-2012 06:18 AM

Agree with all the comments if you brought it then use it, I brought a 3.0 litre JGC diesel that is about to have a 2.5 t van attached to it and head of around Australia expect to clock up about 16,000 klms in 8 months. So sit back and enjoy your ride you won't regret it :)

Doc_d 09-24-2012 06:24 AM

On a modern vehicle, I think time is a bigger enemy than mileage. Many vehicles are capable of going 200,000+ miles (especially if they are easy long trip highway miles) but when a vehicle gets to be 10 - 12 years old you'll start seeing rust, interior degradation, etc regardless of the mileage. I say get your money out of her and drive it.

RegularGolf 09-24-2012 03:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sparro (Post 687590)

LOL, well put sir.