Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee - WJ (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f51/)
-   -   putting aftermarket lsd or selectable lockers on a quadra trac 2 help (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f51/putting-aftermarket-lsd-or-selectable-lockers-on-a-quadra-trac-2-help-47907.html)

02WJLTD 09-25-2012 07:33 AM

putting aftermarket lsd or selectable lockers on a quadra trac 2 help

debating on LSD or selectable lockers.... my 4.7L is a daily driver but i want the ease of mind to where if i need either of them they are available to help me get out of a jam... snow,sand,mud,or whatever else is out there. i have quadra trac 2. i have open differential that i am aware of. i am new to all this jeep stuff so im trying to get suggestions.. will different differential fluid need be used. what are the pros and cons to having or not having and are either compatible with the QT2 system? oh yea i will do some weekend wheeling also

thanks for your time

Trav1s 09-25-2012 08:22 AM

Re: putting aftermarket lsd or selectable lockers on a quadra trac 2 help

What type of weekend wheeling do you do? Oversized tires?

Frango100 09-26-2012 10:31 AM

Would it not be easiest to get some Vari-Loc differentials from a Quadra Drive jeep? You could maybe even get the complete front and rear axles.

Trav1s 09-26-2012 11:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frango100 (Post 688700)
Would it not be easiest to get some Vari-Loc differentials from a Quadra Drive jeep? You could maybe even get the complete front and rear axles.

That was my initial though but decided additional info might be helpful. :D

02WJLTD 09-26-2012 05:57 PM

my closes junk yard has the front left axle shaft and the front right axle shaft (for the vari-loc) but nothing for the rear... do i need the gears out of the differential also?

my tires are not gonna exceed 245/75 16... well now that i found out that the wife is getting another car for her... i can do more than i could when i opened this thread... there is a local jeep club and i saw where they had a seesaw and farm tractor tires that are clumped together and they have mud pits and i saw a small creek with 3 ft+ tall banks

02WJLTD 09-26-2012 06:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 02WJLTD (Post 688911)
my closes junk yard has the front left axle shaft and the front right axle shaft (for the vari-loc) but nothing for the rear... do i need the gears out of the differential also?

my tires are not gonna exceed 245/75 16... well now that i found out that the wife is getting another car for her... i can do more than i could when i opened this thread... there is a local jeep club and i saw where they had a seesaw and farm tractor tires that are clumped together and they have mud pits and i saw a small creek with 3 ft+ tall banks

the seesaw... i ment teeter totter

Frango100 09-26-2012 08:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 02WJLTD (Post 688914)
the seesaw... i ment teeter totter

Still no idea what you are taking about................:slapfight:

02WJLTD 09-28-2012 08:28 PM

Where you have two pieces of wood (One for each side) crossed over one And you try to balance the jeep

cheapjeep 09-29-2012 06:53 AM

You need the whole vari lock rear end not just the axle shafts.Still a bargain considering an ARB that you can only get for the front costs $1000.

spyder873 09-29-2012 09:24 AM

You may want to check and see if you can get a ECTEd electric locker. This will give you posi. When not energized and full lock when energized. You will need to add the limited slip additive when doing fluid changes bit you should be able to get them for around $700 each.
I had them in both my yj and lj, it is a great addition. Plus there is no need to worry about air lines.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

99Wjlimited4.7 09-30-2012 09:29 AM

You could also go the Aussie locker route, makes a little noise in turns but is livable, and at $250 for the front and $400 for the rear beats out all others on price for the weekend warrior

fester 09-30-2012 07:17 PM

Is there any other options available that have come about recently. It would appear by their web site that the ECT is not available for the Dana 44A as has been the case with all other selectable lockers.

What are the Trac Loc LSD's like in the real world of offroading. Here in Aus I'vbe got the CRD powered WJ which also has the Merc gearbox. I've got an Aussie locker sitting on the shelf that I was going to instal but every guy I know here with the CRD has had issues with the gearbox dropping into limp mode after turns. Speaking to some Merc forum guys we believe it has something to do with the lockers action upsetting the wheel speed sensors and gearbox programmingand none of the Merc electronics gurus have an answer. All the guys I know that have had them have since pulled them out and replaced with Trac Loc's, however they've also got selectable front lockers. I was happy to just positively lock the rear and not worry about the front but of course the Trac Loc is not a positive locker to my understanding.

The Quadra Drive or Vari Loc diffs are not a viable option for me as over here they are rare on the second hand marketand have different ratios to the diesels so they are not a straight bolt in to the CRD.