Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Technical Tips/DIY/How-To (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f187/)
-   -   WK 2wd to 4wd doable? (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f187/wk-2wd-to-4wd-doable-47920.html)

Blue88Comanche 09-25-2012 12:38 PM

WK 2wd to 4wd doable?

i am not sure where a good place for this thread would be but, is it possible to convert a 2wd WK to 4wd? I know to convert to a factory setup would require flashing computers and what not, but for example could a np242 be mated to a 4wd WK transmission and install/rig the shifter assembly. my next question would be, can the front diff and what not me mounted to a 2wd WK? and have limited slip in the diffs.

I haven't been able to stop thinking about sense I changed the oil the other day. my only regret about my WK is its 2wd..

xJoshxx 09-25-2012 08:22 PM

Re: WK 2wd to 4wd doable?

No, this isn't a WJ where you can just swap front axle and add a xfer case.

Your best option is trading what you currently have in for the model you want.

#1 you will have a warranty.
#2 the cost i could see would easily be 10k.

My advice is trade it in.

SvenskaJeepGuy 09-26-2012 06:15 PM

trade yours in to get a 4x4

Yillb 09-29-2012 04:14 PM

Get a winch :)

Joe Ayala 09-30-2012 11:40 AM

Yes, it would be cheaper to trade your WK than to convert it.

If you do lighter off road only, a rear diff lock will help a lot and keep you out of trouble most of the time.

Blue88Comanche 09-30-2012 03:43 PM

I was not really planning to go off road with my WK anyway but I was just wondering if there where other TC alternatives.

I plan to eventually get a winch but after I get one for my MJ

Ortjeep:) 01-24-2014 01:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blue88Comanche (Post 690632)
I was not really planning to go off road with my WK anyway but I was just wondering if there where other TC alternatives.

I plan to eventually get a winch but after I get one for my MJ

Has anybody done a wk 2wd conversion into 4wd I want to convert mine. But I wanna get advice from someone that has done it.

dr.lee.baugh 01-27-2014 08:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ortjeep:) (Post 964856)
Has anybody done a wk 2wd conversion into 4wd I want to convert mine. But I wanna get advice from someone that has done it.

The easiest, cheapest, and most reliable way to convert your 2wd to 4wd is to head out to your jeep, put a for sale sign on the window, and then go down to a dealer or used car lot and buy one that has 4wd. As just about every post in this thread has said.

Can you convert your components over - sure, anything is possible with enough money, but you'll likely end up with something less reliable with a poor resale value. I have heard many people say that they were going to do this, but have yet to hear about it being completed.

Gn300 01-27-2014 09:46 AM

Tell me about your 2wd jeep thats what i'm looking for!

Ortjeep:) 01-27-2014 11:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gn300 (Post 966288)
Tell me about your 2wd jeep thats what i'm looking for!

What about my 2wd drive jeep? Well it's cause I love my jeep. And im almost done paying this truck And I wouldn't like to carry another payment Each month and plus I just had it custom paint which matte color looks pretty sick I love it and I would just rather convert it 4wd I know there's a lot of disrespectful people in here that are kinda rude but yea I would just like to convert it 4wd.