Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Export Grand Cherokee 2011+ (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f190/)
-   -   E-brake? (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f190/e-brake-47939.html)

BobT 09-25-2012 08:51 PM

E-brake?
 
Checked my fuse box and found a 30A fuse for "e-brake". Does anyone know what that is? The parking brake feels very mechanical so I don't think it's that. Maybe it's the thing that stops the car rolling backwards on hills. I can't find reference to it in the manual.

Milous 09-29-2012 05:11 AM

Re: E-brake?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by BobT (Post 688505)
Checked my fuse box and found a 30A fuse for "e-brake". Does anyone know what that is? The parking brake feels very mechanical so I don't think it's that. Maybe it's the thing that stops the car rolling backwards on hills. I can't find reference to it in the manual.

Parking brake switch, for the warning lamp.

BobT 10-01-2012 07:01 PM

Re: E-brake?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Milous (Post 690101)
Parking brake switch, for the warning lamp.

Thanks Milous, but why is it called an "e-brake"?

jerkylips 10-01-2012 08:17 PM

Emergency brake

BobT 10-02-2012 12:22 AM

Re: E-brake?
 
Is that some kind of weird Chrysler logic? Surely one uses the foot brake in an emergency stop.

josh3008 10-02-2012 02:16 AM

Re: E-brake?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by BobT (Post 691217)
Is that some kind of weird Chrysler logic? Surely one uses the foot brake in an emergency stop.

It is american. We call it the park brake they call it an e-brake. same difference. lol

GlennR 10-02-2012 02:18 AM

Re: E-brake?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by BobT (Post 691217)
Is that some kind of weird Chrysler logic? Surely one uses the foot brake in an emergency stop.

Might get shot down for this one, but I recall from my time overseas our US cousins rarely use the "e-brake/footbrake/handbrake" prefering to simply put the auto into Park when stationary and switching off. The brake therefore is only used in an "emergency" when all else fails unlike us guys who stop, apply the E-brake and then (and only then) do we put the vehicle into Park ultimately saving undue W&T on the gearbox/drive train.

josh3008 10-02-2012 06:21 PM

Re: E-brake?
 
When i am at home i don't use the "E-Brake". I park on a flat concrete floor under my patio and the car won't get driven for about 3 weeks so i leave the brake off so the pads don't stick to the rotors, especially when i have just washed it. But yes whenever i am out driving around the "E-Brake" is always applied.

FAUEE 10-02-2012 06:25 PM

Re: E-brake?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by GlennR (Post 691231)
Might get shot down for this one, but I recall from my time overseas our US cousins rarely use the "e-brake/footbrake/handbrake" prefering to simply put the auto into Park when stationary and switching off. The brake therefore is only used in an "emergency" when all else fails unlike us guys who stop, apply the E-brake and then (and only then) do we put the vehicle into Park ultimately saving undue W&T on the gearbox/drive train.

That's fairly accurate.

Except nowdays in emergencies we don't even use the e-brake, we panic and then sue for "unintended accelleration" despite the fact that we held the throttle in.

FWIW, I use the parking brake. It sort of becomes a force of habit after a while. The wifey hates it, she never uses it.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:08 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2012 - JeepGarage.Org
The Jeep Grand Cherokee Owners Community