Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Suspension/Driveline/Brakes (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f172/)
-   -   OK...so these stock pads HAVE to GO!!!! New rotors coming! (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f172/ok-so-these-stock-pads-have-to-go-new-rotors-coming-47973.html)

Scottina06 09-26-2012 02:36 PM

OK...so these stock pads HAVE to GO!!!! New rotors coming!

What have any of you guys replaced your stock pads with? I have new Brembo Sport cross drilled rotors coming for the front(not available for the rear yet :() and was wondering what you guys have found that maintains performance...but less of that annoying oily dust! UGH!

hankwedge 09-26-2012 04:18 PM

Re: OK...so these stock pads HAVE to GO!!!! New rotors coming!

I use the armor all protectant that I spray on the wheels. No brake dust at all. Just have to spray on every couple months

MikeH 09-26-2012 05:38 PM

Ditto on the ArmorAll. I know it doesn't exactly answer your question about replacement pads, but it works for the meantime. The little dust that does collect just runs off with some water.

HAMMMERHEAD 09-26-2012 06:31 PM

What all is out now Scott? Isnt there a Hawk Ceramic out? I dont mind losing some grip for a cleaner wheel.

Scottina06 09-26-2012 06:55 PM

I don't want ceramic.....to noisy

Schleprock 09-27-2012 08:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hankwedge (Post 688860)
I use the armor all protectant that I spray on the wheels. No brake dust at all. Just have to spray on every couple months

A couple months? The stuff is expensive $12-15 a can, takes almost the entire can to do the 4 wheels, and lasts maybe 2.5 weeks for me.

I have had multiple sets of ceramic Hawks and have never heard them squealing.

12Jeep 09-27-2012 08:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Schleprock (Post 689178)
A couple months? The stuff is expensive $12-15 a can, takes almost the entire can to do the 4 wheels, and lasts maybe 2.5 weeks for me.

I have had multiple sets of ceramic Hawks and have never heard them squealing.

$12 - $15 a can, where are you purchasing it from? Been able to pick it up for a little over $7 either online at amazon or at Wal-Mart locally. My experience is similar on how long it lasts, been able to get at least two full applications per can.

Scottina06 09-27-2012 10:17 AM

ive sealed these wheels with #21 meguiers....so the dust just washes right off with a hose.....but I dont want to do that everyday......

Ive not had ceramic Hawks on this...but on my gen 1 brembos...they squealed like a banchi

mjw930 09-28-2012 09:16 AM

Aside from looks do you have a performance reason to swap out what is already an expensive and quality rotor? From a performance standpoint I would be much more inclined to go with a slotted rotor, preferable one that's been cryo-treated. If it's for looks then you can't argue with the cross drilled look.

You know that both cross drilling and slotting don't really do anything for performance with modern pads, right? They came into being as a method to allow gasses produced by older organic and asbestos pads to escape, they provide no extra cooling capabilities, especially in a vented rotor. Pad compound improvements over the years have make both slotted and drilled rotors obsolete. They are really just retained by some car manufacturers for their visual appeal.

viking757 09-28-2012 09:22 AM

See if stop-tech makes pads for the WK2 SRT8. I am running them on my rig and they have cut down the dust considerably and offer great bite. I have 0 noise. Make sure to treat the back of the pad with some Disc Brake quiet and you should be set.

Scottina06 09-28-2012 10:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mjw930 (Post 689704)
Aside from looks do you have a performance reason to swap out what is already an expensive and quality rotor? From a performance standpoint I would be much more inclined to go with a slotted rotor, preferable one that's been cryo-treated. If it's for looks then you can't argue with the cross drilled look.

You know that both cross drilling and slotting don't really do anything for performance with modern pads, right? They came into being as a method to allow gasses produced by older organic and asbestos pads to escape, they provide no extra cooling capabilities, especially in a vented rotor. Pad compound improvements over the years have make both slotted and drilled rotors obsolete. They are really just retained by some car manufacturers for their visual appeal.

its for looks mostly. These are the Brembo Sport rotors. They are High Carbon Cast Iron and are lighter than the stockers. They are also zinc coated and anodized. They are advertised to be a high performing rotor than the stock brembos....

Quote:

Originally Posted by viking757 (Post 689705)
See if stop-tech makes pads for the WK2 SRT8. I am running them on my rig and they have cut down the dust considerably and offer great bite. I have 0 noise. Make sure to treat the back of the pad with some Disc Brake quiet and you should be set.

yep...I ordered the stoptech pads for the wk2 SRT8. I have them all aorund on my gen1 and they are perfect. Very light dust and great stopping power with 0 noise.

viking757 09-28-2012 02:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scottina06 (Post 689740)
yep...I ordered the stoptech pads for the wk2 SRT8. I have them all aorund on my gen1 and they are perfect. Very light dust and great stopping power with 0 noise.

:ftmfw: