Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Troubleshooting/Problems (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f181/)
-   -   Cant fix dash lights, garage offering to buy back the Commander (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f181/cant-fix-dash-lights-garage-offering-to-buy-back-the-commander-48033.html)

Chrali 09-27-2012 02:32 PM

Cant fix dash lights, garage offering to buy back the Commander

I've been without my Commander for 5 weeks now. The Jeep main dealer has fitted a new EGR under warranty. They also fitted a new light stalk as you couldnt adjust the dash panel lights and it was throwing a code.

BUT the new stalk didn't fix the problem, and its still throwing a code and Jeep doesn't know what to do.

I'm scared stiff that I may end up with malfunctioning lights that can't be fixed, and 4 years finance left.

They've offered to buy back the car, or warranty the light stalk for another 12 months so what do I do?

SvenskaJeepGuy 09-27-2012 02:44 PM

Re: Cant fix dash lights, garage offering to buy back the Commander

sell it back, there is nothing good that can come out of owning a commander

JMLoughrey 09-27-2012 02:50 PM

i would sell it back, if the vehicle is malfunctioning, and they can't fix it, i would make them buy out my exisiting loan amount and give me one hell of a deal on a new vehicle.

It by no means is your fault that the vehicle malfunctioned, you have warrentys and lemon laws for a reason.

eibyer 09-27-2012 03:47 PM

I'll start from square one and no headache, let them buy it back and offer you a deal on a replacement vehicle of your choice.

Chrali 09-27-2012 03:51 PM

Ouch! Its a 2006 CRD with only 40k miles on it, they'll give me my deposit back, i'll cash in the road tax and they'll settle the finance on it. Or they'll give me 250 and/or 12 month warranrty on the dimmer only - in case it gets worse.

To put this into perspective if I handed it back I'll get a 2002/03 RR 4.4 Vogue.

JMLoughrey 09-28-2012 08:34 AM

id hand them the keys right asap

spyder873 09-28-2012 08:44 AM

sell it back,
we chased a dash light gremlin for months (on our own and with a dealer) , Installed new ignition switch , rewired the auto start ,etc. We finally found a pinched wire in the base of the column .

spyder873 09-28-2012 08:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SvenskaJeepGuy (Post 689304)
sell it back, there is nothing good that can come out of owning a commander

Other then the above issue ... we have had great luck ( knocking on wood) with ours .

Chrali 09-28-2012 01:57 PM

I'm not sure its a deal breaker, and with the new EGR it goes like a stabbed rat and EVIC reported over 30mpg over a 17 mile drive, was only getting 25 before.

JMLoughrey 10-04-2012 08:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chrali (Post 689854)
I'm not sure its a deal breaker, and with the new EGR it goes like a stabbed rat and EVIC reported over 30mpg over a 17 mile drive, was only getting 25 before.

Id still sell it back, the dimmer light issue could just be a precursor to something much bigger and much more expensive that could rear its head.

Chrali 10-06-2012 04:28 PM

Well it goes on Thursday, cool looking car but when Jeep themselves cant fix it its gotta go. So long and thanks for the fish.

Chrali 10-08-2012 04:12 PM

I tested modern cars and just couldn't get comfortable. So I've accepted cashback instead and keep the Jeep. Bit of a gamble, but so is any used car.