Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Trouble Shooting/Problems/Service (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f162/)
-   -   LED's off? (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f162/leds-off-48042.html)

Unsequestered 09-27-2012 05:28 PM

LED's off?

My LED's are not on when the vehicle is in park or drive when the lights are not on. In other words if the headlights are not on then the LED's are ALWAYS off. The only way I can get the LED's on is to start the vehicle with the remote or turn the headlights on. Also just to be clear, I don't mean running lights or any other light setting....it must be the full headlights. As far as I recall the LED's are always on when driving.

Is there some code/setting I hit accidentally that is causing this?

mlarco52 09-27-2012 05:45 PM

Re: LED's off?

The LED's will not come on when the vehicle is in park and the headlights are in the off or auto position. If the headlights are in the off/auto position they [the led's] will only come on when the vehicle is engaged in drive, neutral, or reverse. If the headlights are the the led's will come on.

So you won't see the led's on unless you get someone to jump in your car for you and leave the headlights at auto or off, and then engage the vehicle into drive, neutral, or reverse then they [the led's] will pop on.

Unsequestered 09-27-2012 06:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mlarco52 (Post 689402)
The LED's will not come on when the vehicle is in park and the headlights are in the off or auto position. If the headlights are in the off/auto position they [the led's] will only come on when the vehicle is engaged in drive, neutral, or reverse. If the headlights are the the led's will come on.

So you won't see the led's on unless you get someone to jump in your car for you and leave the headlights at auto or off, and then engage the vehicle into drive, neutral, or reverse then they [the led's] will pop on.

I was driving in a convoy on the expressway with family and they noticed it. So today I had someone drive it outside with sunlight while I watched. So like I said originally, the vehicle's LED's do NOT work when driving the vehicle with any light setting accept the full headlight setting.

Mongoose9400 09-27-2012 07:21 PM

The LEDs have two setting. From what you explain it appears that only the low setting is working for the LED bars. The low setting happens during remote start and when the headlights are turned on (either manually or in automatic mode). The high setting is when the Jeep is running, e-brake off, and in any transmission position besides park. This also includes if the lighting switch is turned to running/parking like and/or fog lights.

My best guess would be either they are faulty, bad LED strips or missing an electrical component somewhere (i.e. a relay/fuse) Or, an option in the StarScan needs to turn them on.

I would say a visit to the dealer to solve this.

Sent from my iPhone 5

Unsequestered 09-27-2012 08:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mongoose9400 (Post 689444)
The LEDs have two setting. From what you explain it appears that only the low setting is working for the LED bars. The low setting happens during remote start and when the headlights are turned on (either manually or in automatic mode). The high setting is when the Jeep is running, e-brake off, and in any transmission position besides park. This also includes if the lighting switch is turned to running/parking like and/or fog lights.

My best guess would be either they are faulty, bad LED strips or missing an electrical component somewhere (i.e. a relay/fuse) Or, an option in the StarScan needs to turn them on.

I would say a visit to the dealer to solve this.

Sent from my iPhone 5

Thanks all!

I figured it would lead to a dealer visit. I just thought I should ask you experts in case I did something stupid and maybe I could reverse it before taking it in.

Can't wait to let you know what the issue is.

My guess is the dealer screwed it up when it was there for a month fixing the transmission issue.

mlarco52 09-27-2012 08:50 PM

Hopefully just a blown fuse or something. Let us know what they find please would love to know what's behind this issue.

EDIT: Just went and checked the manual looks like the fuse that controls this is M15 but it controls a bunch of other stuff if you're not experiencing this stuff then it might be something else.

M15 Fuse Location
20 amp yellow fuse

Description:

Power Seat Module(s)
Adaptive Cruise Control
Audio Telematics
Daytime Running Lights Relay
Air Suspension Module
Instrument Cluster

Mongoose9400 09-27-2012 09:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mlarco52 (Post 689492)
Hopefully just a blown fuse or something. Let us know what they find please would love to know what's behind this issue.

EDIT: Just went and checked the manual looks like the fuse that controls this is M15 but it controls a bunch of other stuff if you're not experiencing this stuff then it might be something else.

M15 Fuse Location
20 amp yellow fuse

Description:

Power Seat Module(s)
Adaptive Cruise Control
Audio Telematics
Daytime Running Lights Relay
Air Suspension Module
Instrument Cluster

Is this a non SRT8 manual? The Air suspension module wouldn't be needed for the SRT8.

Sent from my iPhone 5

mlarco52 09-27-2012 09:19 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Nope it stated SRT8 manual, a lot of things that were carried over in the manual from the wk2 to the wk2 srt8 manual for some reason. Guess they didn't wanna go back and re-write it all.

EviL 09-28-2012 03:14 AM

hey guys, i noticed that this problem only occurs in the foreign jeeps

my srt has no led bars when put on auto or even when the head lights are on

the dealership sez that all jeeps thats in the gcc area dont have that

as well as the remote start

JEEPYOU 09-28-2012 10:26 AM

I have not been back to the dealer (too damn busy), but my assumption is that the DRL LED's have a setting that allows them to be turned off and on... but only with the Star-Scan tool.

Since I refused to pay the dealer prep on my Jeep (and they did not "prep" it), my guess is that the DRL LED's were not set to "on" per the prep list provided by Jeep to the dealership.

Again, just a guess... but I think a pretty good one.

Unsequestered 10-04-2012 10:21 AM

Update:

Went to the dealer yesterday and after a little over two hours of waiting there, the issue was not resolved.

I was told that all the settings look good and that they are going to send a copy of my settings to Chrysler to see if they can solve it. The dealer says that while the settings are as they should be it seems that the truck does not know that it is an SRT. This could be why the LED's are not working as they should.

They partially put the blame on the Chrysler rep that came down to look at it when it was in the shop for a month. They said that maybe he changed the software on it to try and solve the trans issue. Aside from this theory, as the dealer put it, "It just doesn't make sense." Unfortunately I am getting tired of this excuse with this truck after hearing that exact statement over and over again as it sat at the dealer for nearly a month.

Oh well...At least the truck is drivable.

Ill keep you apprised folks!