Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Performance Modifications (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f6/)
-   -   Magnaflows get louder over time? (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f6/magnaflows-get-louder-over-time-4806.html)

05quadratrac 12-15-2009 03:10 AM

Magnaflows get louder over time?

After driving around with the new muffler for awhile now (5x8x18) magnaflow I wouldnt mind it being alittle louder at the lower RPM's. It sounds great when I get on the gas but some more rumble at idle and up to 2k RPM would be nice. Do they get louder over time or do they stay about the time?

06HemiLtd 12-15-2009 07:03 AM

Re: Magnaflows get louder over time?

i got my magnaflow 5x11x22 installed about a month ago and have noticed that's it is quieter now. you probably didn't want to hear that. it's loud when you get on it and right before gear changes but hardly noticeable when cruising. the 1st 500 miles or so it was much more noticeable. i realize it's a different size muffler too.

jhawk 12-15-2009 08:56 AM

Sorry, but this is why I bought the Magnaflow. Calm and quiet until you put your foot into it.

05quadratrac 12-15-2009 03:00 PM

I was hoping to be heard 3 blocks away as I rolled up the street setting off car alarms with girls waving to me. That kind of loud. :D I mean its got sound to it especially when I get on it but Im use to a Mustang gt with 2.5 duals, 2 chamber flowmasters and no cats loud.

FlyinRyan 12-15-2009 08:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 05quadratrac (Post 117144)
I was hoping to be heard 3 blocks away as I rolled up the street setting off car alarms with girls waving to me. That kind of loud. :D I mean its got sound to it especially when I get on it but Im use to a Mustang gt with 2.5 duals, 2 chamber flowmasters and no cats loud.

Take a look at my vid and see if thats more your style....

dreamer1213 12-15-2009 09:51 PM

They tend to get a little louder over time, but I don't know if its the kinda loud you just described up there. If you want loud, then a 14x4" round Magnaflow, like in the video link Ryan posted...should be right up your alley!

FlyinRyan 12-15-2009 10:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dreamer1213 (Post 117271)
They tend to get a little louder over time, but I don't know if its the kinda loud you just described up there. If you want loud, then a 14x4" round Magnaflow, like in the video link Ryan posted...should be right up your alley!

I almost forgot to put in my .02, lol.

I have had 2 different Magnaflows (one was a 5x8x18), and both have gotten slightly louder over a course of about 5-10k miles. it's due to a change in the composition of the sound absorbing material they use. Call it "break in". After that, the noise does not get any louder. The difference between new and "broken in" is negligible to marginal at best.

Matt McKenzie 12-15-2009 11:13 PM

If you want louder rumble, cut out your resonators!!! Sounds awesome!!!!

05quadratrac 12-15-2009 11:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Matt McKenzie (Post 117307)
If you want louder rumble, cut out your resonators!!! Sounds awesome!!!!

I dont have a resonator, its an 05' 4.7 :D

05quadratrac 12-15-2009 11:35 PM

I dont see any vid Ryan? I have to admit the 18in sounds awesome when I get on it or use the autostick. Its pretty quiet at idle and cruising speeds which I guess is good since I use it for work sometimes. If I ever got an SRT though I'd want it to roar at all RPM's.

FlyinRyan 12-16-2009 12:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 05quadratrac (Post 117316)
I dont see any vid Ryan? I have to admit the 18in sounds awesome when I get on it or use the autostick. Its pretty quiet at idle and cruising speeds which I guess is good since I use it for work sometimes. If I ever got an SRT though I'd want it to roar at all RPM's.

Members Rides section, click "The Sleepy 4.7......" thread, go to last page, theres a youtube link in there. If you see all the compliments you've gone too far! :lol:

Matt McKenzie 12-16-2009 01:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 05quadratrac (Post 117315)
I dont have a resonator, its an 05' 4.7 :D

Gotcha....I don't know anything about the other Jeeps, I am only familiar with the SRT8...thanks for the info;)