Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Trouble Shooting/Problems/Service (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f107/)
-   -   Just received 2013 Altitude (Major Door fitment issues) (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f107/just-received-2013-altitude-major-door-fitment-issues-48170.html)

kwmeo 09-30-2012 01:50 PM

Just received 2013 Altitude (Major Door fitment issues)

3 Attachment(s)
I just received my 2013, GC Altitude, I was really pleased as the dealer treated me exceptionally well and installed all my parts (Corsa Exhaust, BT Catch Can, Mopar Intake, Mopar Side Steps) in half a day. I still want to tint driver and passenger door windows to match the rear windows and blackout the chrome window/door trim. As I was admiring the vehicle I began to notice that all the doors are out of alignment, rear window hatch is out of alignment, I mean its bad!!! all the way around! On the driver side of the Jeep the rear door sits lowere than the passanger rear door. The gaps between the doors are also out of wack, on one side there is barely a gap and on the other you can almost slide your pinky in between. Like I said the dealer and their staff has been great i can not say enough good things about them. I just had open heart surgery days before ordering the Jeep and they (Parts dept, Sales staff, Ladies in the back, Service dept, Everyone!!) has made this purchase go very smooth. They are not the ones to blame, but the Jeep workmanship/assembly line workers or whoever, quality control should have had this issue corrected by now. I have read a few posts of the same issues from othe owners, but bt now 2013, this should have been corrected. I am still healind but i will be paying the dealership a visit once i can drive and have them fix unacceptable craftmanship/assembly.

If any of you guys have any advice before I confront them please advise, I have heard dealers come up with the wackiest of excuses for these alignment issues.

JTS97Z28 09-30-2012 03:38 PM

Re: Just received 2013 Altitude (Major Door fitment issues)

VERY common! It's sad that this very nice new Chrysler product is like this, but most WK2's I see have some panel/door alignment issues. Some are pretty bad and makes me wonder how in the world that can get through the assembly process, and even worse, final inspection.
I was at a dealership many months ago and one Overland's door was so jacked up I was able to stick my pinky finger in the gap. Looked horrible!!

a990dna 09-30-2012 06:33 PM

Believe it or not I did my own study on the fitment issues with the Grand Cherokee and found approximately 50% come off the assembly line out-of-whack.

This dates back to the 2008 MY... The last one I ordered was arrow straight.

The only thing you can do is find one that's assembled well, park along side and show them this isn't the norm.

Good luck with it.... and get well soon!

ajs800 09-30-2012 07:53 PM

I've noticed this with some, but my '11 overland is all around straight....If I could only get to the bottom of two headliner rattles I'd have zero complaints.

black snow 09-30-2012 10:02 PM

I am also wondering about these things because I also found misaligned parts in my 2012. And the thing that puzzles me is that from my experience, even on some other brand, being from a previous Honda associate, I have seen how their cars have passed all of this alignment things, and also when I read about water leakage problems, am wondering why Chrysler are having these. Comparing how those Honda people are doing and also when I am visiting Toyota, Nissan and other car comapnies, I am seeing that they don't have any of these alignment and water leak problems.

IS this problem wide-spread when it comes to these Chrysler vehicles? When I checked my uncles brand new Grand Caravan, I also noticed misaligned doors. And interestingly enough, my friends 2013 Ford explorer laso has misaligned doors.

AAAA 10-01-2012 06:35 AM

Relax and recover from your surgery. These are fixable.... shouldn't happen, but fixable by the dealer.

kwmeo 10-01-2012 02:22 PM

Thank you AAAA, your kind words hit it just right. I think Doctors will allow me to drive in a week or two. It just irritates me that all through the years they have yet to repair this alignment issue at build stage.

scooterha 10-02-2012 04:43 PM

i have a misaligned door on the passenger front door, drives me nuts but i hate the thought of taking it to the baboons at the jeep dealership lol

SixZeroFour 10-03-2012 11:28 AM

FWIW - I had a rear driver side door out of alignment and my dealer did a great job of fixing it and there is no evidence at all that an adjustment was made. Sounds like you have a pretty good dealer experience so far so it shouldnt be a problem.

Get well soon and enjoy the new rig!