Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee - WK2 - (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/)
-   -   Pentastar lifter failure and replacement (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/pentastar-lifter-failure-and-replacement-48197.html)

gc4x4 10-01-2012 08:00 AM

Pentastar lifter failure and replacement

Anybody have a problem with ticking on the left side head on there pentastar V6? I did, and the dealer had to replace all 12 lifters on the left side head and now the noise has went away, My jeep only has 4500 miles and i find it odd to have engine issues at this low a mileage, but i hope i don't have any more.:(

jp467 10-01-2012 01:39 PM

Re: Pentastar lifter failure and replacement

They are supposed to change the whole head for this problem.

4jeepdiesel 10-01-2012 01:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gc4x4 (Post 690839)
Anybody have a problem with ticking on the left side head on there pentastar V6? I did, and the dealer had to replace all 12 lifters on the left side head and now the noise has went away, My jeep only has 4500 miles and i find it odd to have engine issues at this low a mileage, but i hope i don't have any more.:(

I agree with JP 467 that the whole head should have been replaced. It's possible that they did that but did not convey all of the info to you.

From Chrysler's own data about .5% of Pentastars have this issue and they don't really know why.

gc4x4 10-01-2012 03:08 PM

Well see if the ticking comes back, I'll take it back in and demand the head be replaced if the problem comes back. Im going to have them do all the service, oil changes etc and document it in Case the s*** hits the fan.

jp467 10-01-2012 08:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gc4x4 (Post 691012)
Well see if the ticking comes back, I'll take it back in and demand the head be replaced if the problem comes back. Im going to have them do all the service, oil changes etc and document it in Case the s*** hits the fan.

How bad was the noise?

scooterha 10-01-2012 09:05 PM

LOL if this problem happens to my wk2 i'll have to take it to the dodge dealership a bunch of rocks with legs in jeep jackets work at my local dealership

padgett 10-01-2012 09:42 PM

.5% Pentastars but no figures on light vs heavy vehicles. Chrysler is really keeping quiet about that but I suspect that the bulk of the failures are in vehicles over 4,000 lbs.One thing about the Internet, eventually we will know & I have over 2 years left on my warrenty.

gc4x4 10-02-2012 08:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jp467 (Post 691159)
How bad was the noise?

It sounded like it had a rod knock with all the tapping it was doing...