Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Interior/Exterior/Visual (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f197/)
-   -   Dash Trim? (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f197/dash-trim-48244.html)

JeepFreak12 10-02-2012 06:54 AM

Dash Trim?

Does anyone know if the wood grain piece on the dash above the passenger airbag is heat staked into the dash or if it has clips? I know the door panel trim is heat staked. Thanks everyone.

Martyp 10-02-2012 07:11 AM

Re: Dash Trim?

It's actually bolted on - due to the air bag.

PITA to remove/replace. WJJeeps might have info on it but a few parts need to be removed to access the bolts. :rolleyes:

JeepFreak12 10-02-2012 07:22 AM

Dang that sucks. Thanks for the info!

donddon 10-02-2012 11:45 AM

I shoulda looked into it first. I thought it had clips and i tried wedging it out at the sides....broke it. I finished the CF vinyl on it and "placed" it back. It stays and you couldn't tell it was broken unless i told you.

JeepFreak12 10-02-2012 08:54 PM

Yeah I'm in the process of finishing my cf wrapping, dash is all done. Now the daunting task of doing the doors lol

redbluff 10-02-2012 11:03 PM

Yeah I read once that they were afraid it would snap off during air bag deployment so they bolted it from the inside. Pretty sure the drivers side and both passenger side ac vents are locked in because of this too. It's frustrating to say the least.

donddon 10-03-2012 10:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 4.7beast (Post 691584)
Yeah I'm in the process of finishing my cf wrapping, dash is all done. Now the daunting task of doing the doors lol

Have you wrapped the potion with the a/c controls and below it with the power outlets? I would like to remove it first and wrap it when out.So if I need to remove it do I need to remove the center console first, where the cup holders and shift lever are?

JeepFreak12 10-03-2012 10:43 AM

I have wrapped the portion with the power outlets and ash try. You do not need to remove the dash. Its held in by clips so just gently pry it out. Its kind of a pain to wrap it. Ill post a pic of the lower portion when i get a sec.

JeepFreak12 10-03-2012 11:48 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quick pic of the lower portion. Sorry its so dirty lol

donddon 10-03-2012 02:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 4.7beast (Post 691810)
I have wrapped the portion with the power outlets and ash try. You do not need to remove the dash. Its held in by clips so just gently pry it out. Its kind of a pain to wrap it. Ill post a pic of the lower portion when i get a sec.

Thanks. How about the temp. control part, would I have access to it(screws/bolts) once the ash/tray if off because I tried to wedge it out and got some resistance so I did not want to break anything.

JeepFreak12 10-03-2012 02:49 PM

To remove the temp controls you need to remove the radio bezel also which is held on by clips. There will be 2 screws holding on the temp controls i believe.

donddon 10-03-2012 04:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 4.7beast (Post 691923)
To remove the temp controls you need to remove the radio bezel also which is held on by clips. There will be 2 screws holding on the temp controls i believe.

Yea i got the two screws under the radio bezel, removed them when i did the radio bezel. So then does the temp control have clips as well. I was afraid it may have some more screws that I didn't know of and they might be accessible after the ash tray is out. So if only clips after two top screws are out, i can use some extra force without fear of breakage.