Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Engine Performance/Intake/Exhaust (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f183/)
-   -   CAI newbie question. (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f183/cai-newbie-question-48359.html)

tfranzone 10-04-2012 12:35 PM

CAI newbie question.

I have a 2008 4.7L v8 WK... i was originally getting 19mpg on it...
After I lifted it and added bigger tires.. im down to 15-16mpg, which I'm cool with.. I knew what I was getting into... My question is regarding CAI's..I've never really done any performance mods on a vehicle before and I'd like to get some feedback on suggestions for a good CAI...

I did some reasearching and I like how aFe and Volant both have an enclosed filter... I would really prefer something like that.. so only outside air is getting in and keeping everything cooler... only problem is.. I dont think they make one for an 08 4.7L... do they?
all I am finding for 2008 from aFe and Volant are ones for the 6.1L Hemi which I know also work with the 5.7L Hemi... but probably not with my 4.7L.

Primarily, I am looking to get back to 20mpgs... the added power and throttle response is a huge and awesome bonus for me the way I look at it, as my primary objective is more mpgs. but power is always a plus:D

I figured with holidays coming up, this might be a good/smart next addition to my WK, rather than any more exterior mods for now...but I really don't know if theres a good CAI out there for me... Can you guys(and girls) please help me out with a good CAI solution for my 08 4.7L WK? Thanks

Madanio24 10-04-2012 01:32 PM

Re: CAI newbie question.

I have the K&N cold air intake and love it. I also have the dry charger to protect it from water. You dont really have to worry about messing up your engine unless you are going to very deep water. The K&N has worked great for me, on the Highway with 22's cruising at 60 i get around 23 mpg.

I also take my jeep offroading in the winter. Last winter i went into a puddle thinking it was only a foot deep, turned out it was over 3 feet deep. I quickly got out checked under the engine and the dry charger on the cold air intake helped it not suck in water.

tfranzone 10-04-2012 01:37 PM

thanks Madanio. This is the kind of feedback I was hoping for.. is there a model or part number of the K&N you use?

I'll add it to a list of possible CAIs for me.

Madanio24 10-04-2012 01:56 PM

Here you go K&N COLD AIR INTAKE KIT FIPK; JEEP GRAND CHEROKEE & COMMANDER, V8-4.7L, 05-06 | eBay

Mine is a little different because i have the v6 motor.

baggee 10-04-2012 04:30 PM

I also have K&N cai installed but performance and mpg's stayed like in the stock intake.Sound went litlle deeper and that was it...Apsolutley no power or mpg gain! But,things changed when i installed Hypertech programmer...

Madanio24 10-04-2012 06:09 PM

Thats weird i definitely got a mpg gain. I have hypertech also and love it

Kman09JGC 10-06-2012 10:05 AM

3 Attachment(s)
I installed a K&N 63-1548 CAI on my 09 4.7 about 4 months ago. Throttle response increased and the sound it makes is awesome. sounds like I put a aftermarket muffler on. I bought mine from summitracing but I think airram.com has the best price. It is the only CAI that eliminates the plenum and connects to the TB. I think AFE is your only other choice.

Strongjeff 10-07-2012 09:49 PM

theres K&N, Injin, AFE
and maybe Volant

Strongjeff 10-08-2012 10:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kman09JGC (Post 693266)
It is the only CAI that eliminates the plenum and connects to the TB.

no its not, injin is the same way, almost every cai kit ive seen was like this other then the ones that are puting the cone filter on you stock tubing

Strongjeff 10-08-2012 10:19 AM

heres two examples

Spectre profab KIT:
https://fbcdn-sphotos-f-a.akamaihd.n..._7080484_n.jpg

and the injin i currently run:
https://fbcdn-sphotos-h-a.akamaihd.n...56749841_n.jpg

you can get the injin for the 4.7

Kayak83 10-08-2012 11:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kman09JGC (Post 693266)
I installed a K&N 63-1548 CAI on my 09 4.7 about 4 months ago. Throttle response increased and the sound it makes is awesome. sounds like I put a aftermarket muffler on. I bought mine from summitracing but I think airram.com has the best price. It is the only CAI that eliminates the plenum and connects to the TB. I think AFE is your only other choice.

I have the same setup on my '06 4.7L. Definitely gains about 1, maybe 2 mpg, mainly on the highway. Nothing really huge. You lose a little lower end but the 3k+ passing on the highway kicks noticeably better. Mine's paired with a Flowmaster muffler, so that might be adding the the low end loss as well. It's a good trade-off.

I've never worried about water. Had it on for a few years now with the duct removed at the front grill and have never had a water issue. I live in Seattle, so I drive through a lot of rainy days.

FYI, it's LOUD AS HELL on startup.

Kman09JGC 10-08-2012 08:21 PM

I could be wrong but for the 08-09 4.7 I thought K&N and AFE were the only choice. Will those other ones fit the 08-09 4.7's??