Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee - WJ (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f51/)
-   -   Badge Removal on Jeep WJ (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f51/badge-removal-on-jeep-wj-48364.html)

Woebber 10-04-2012 01:53 PM

Badge Removal on Jeep WJ
 
Hey guys,

Ive been looking around looking for information on removing all the badges on my 04 jeep grand cherokee. I know the heat gun and fish line trick, I was just wondering if ALL the badges are attached with adhesive. :confused:
If anyone has taken all there badges off and knows the answer can you please let me know? Im looking to debadge the jeep this weekend. :thumbsup:

Thank You

dudefromflorida 10-04-2012 02:54 PM

Re: Badge Removal on Jeep WJ
 
Yes, they are all attached with adhesive. I found that the fish line trick took too long so I went to Home Depot and bought a small plastic putty knife and used a thin microfiber cloth to cover it (also used a metal putty knife and rounded the corners off...but be very careful with the metal one and be sure to wrap it in a micro cloth as well. I would advise a plastic knife though). I heated the badges up just like you would the other way then just slide the putty knife under the badges and it came right off ... Also think it took more adhesive off with it. For the remaining adhesive I took some goo gone and wiped it where the adhesive was and let it sit for a few... Then took a rag soaked with Purple Power and it wiped right off (one section took a little elbow grease). I advise waxing the area when you are done since those spots have never had any protection on them.
Here is what mine looks like after I took all the badges off.. Even the ones on the doors.
<a href="http://s1156.photobucket.com/albums/p573/dudefromflorida/?action=view&amp;current=Jeep9-20-12_zps0a5cdd28.jpg" target="_blank"><img src="http://i1156.photobucket.com/albums/p573/dudefromflorida/Jeep9-20-12_zps0a5cdd28.jpg" border="0" alt="Photobucket"></a>

Woebber 10-04-2012 03:13 PM

Re: Badge Removal on Jeep WJ
 
Looks great man,
Thanks for the advice. Im glad to hear all the badges are attached with adhesive. I will post pictures when the jeep is all de-badged

JeepFreak12 10-04-2012 07:53 PM

Re: Badge Removal on Jeep WJ
 
It will look so much better de-badged. I did mine and also wet sanded the stripe off. Looks so clean now.

Martyp 10-05-2012 01:09 PM

Re: Badge Removal on Jeep WJ
 
Be careful with the heat gun near the lower plastic cladding - I melted mine slightly and got it resprayed as I'm OCD.

Dental floss works good too - the glue is a biatch to remove though.

Finger nails, loads of glue remover and patience are a must.

Woebber 10-05-2012 06:22 PM

Re: Badge Removal on Jeep WJ
 
I pulled a few off today, I forgot I had the hatch repainted and now where the "v8" and "jeep, Quatradrive, 4.7 H.O" used to be are a shade lighter..im OCD myself and I can't stand looking at it haha
As far as the other badges on the door ( "trail rated, Overland" ect.) looks great!

honda_fox3 10-06-2012 01:26 AM

Re: Badge Removal on Jeep WJ
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Woebber (Post 693051)
I forgot I had the hatch repainted and now where the "v8" and "jeep, Quatradrive, 4.7 H.O" used to be are a shade lighter..im OCD myself and I can't stand looking at it haha

You had it repainted and they didn't remove and re-install the badges?:eek: Who repainted your hatch? Macco? :lol: Any decent shop wouldn't tape around that stuff, they would remove and re-install or replace with new. Not to bash or anything but that is poor work............ and rant over. :slapfight:

Woebber 10-06-2012 01:37 PM

Re: Badge Removal on Jeep WJ
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dustinmk4 (Post 693179)
You had it repainted and they didn't remove and re-install the badges?:eek: Who repainted your hatch? Macco? :lol: Any decent shop wouldn't tape around that stuff, they would remove and re-install or replace with new. Not to bash or anything but that is poor work............ and rant over. :slapfight:

Oh I agree 100%, and the dealer had it painted when i bought the truck.
Im actually kind of upset at the fact that a DEALER did such bad work :bang head:

Good for me I have a few friends in the auto body business :thumbsup:

honda_fox3 10-06-2012 09:54 PM

Re: Badge Removal on Jeep WJ
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Woebber (Post 693325)
Oh I agree 100%, and the dealer had it painted when i bought the truck.
Im actually kind of upset at the fact that a DEALER did such bad work :bang head:

Good for me I have a few friends in the auto body business :thumbsup:

Good to hear, there for a second I was worried about you ha ha!
I'm not suprised at that. You would be amazed how often it happens, dealers usually do worse work then the small shop because people just trust the dealer but will scrutanize the small shop. I have some pretty good stories about stealerships poor work.

Woebber 10-07-2012 12:10 PM

Re: Badge Removal on Jeep WJ
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dustinmk4 (Post 693440)
Good to hear, there for a second I was worried about you ha ha!
I'm not suprised at that. You would be amazed how often it happens, dealers usually do worse work then the small shop because people just trust the dealer but will scrutanize the small shop. I have some pretty good stories about stealerships poor work.

Haha, yeah i should have know from when my mother bought her truck from the same dealer and we always get her truck back with the same problems as when she brought it in.. stupid me ha

Ill get it fixed soon. If not just slap the badges back on and call it a day until i gather the money to blend it in


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:26 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2012 - JeepGarage.Org
The Jeep Grand Cherokee Owners Community