Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee - WK (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f5/)
-   -   Purchase price - Too much? (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f5/purchase-price-too-much-48387.html)

HowardJ 10-04-2012 09:45 PM

Purchase price - Too much?
 
Hey fellas.
I'm going tomorrow to offer 14,500 out the door on a GC
It's a 2005 limited with the 5.7L hemi and it has 76,200 miles.
Is 14,500 too much? Or right around where it should be?
Dealership told me 15k OTD, so I'm thinking 500 bucks cheaper will be accepted.
They didn't really want to go any lower, so maybe it won't..? Time will tell.

Any opinions are appreciated, thanks guys

SvenskaJeepGuy 10-04-2012 09:51 PM

Re: Purchase price - Too much?
 
Wow i bought mine almost four years ago with 45k less miles on it for less than that.... Guess i got a deal, eventhough mine is a laredo and not a limited

HowardJ 10-05-2012 06:40 AM

Re: Purchase price - Too much?
 
"/ well crap.
Is it the hemi that makes them more expensive, or are they just asking too much?

Yillb 10-05-2012 07:15 AM

Re: Purchase price - Too much?
 
the hemi is a beast -_- so if your willing to pay it.. then pay it. The price of the car is really what YOU Value it at. IMO that's to much for a car with 75k miles, if it has 4x4 then..that's probably what ti was used for, so you have someone elses abused 4x4 system, dealership aLWAYS says it's highway miles, and another new thing they like to start doing, is ranting about how that's such low miles for a jeep.. is it 4 wheel drive ? I care more about my insides, engine, outsides. while the extra stuff on the hemi is nice ( such as power ) , i picked up a laredo with 19500 miles, for less than what your going to pay for the hemi ( 2006 ) granted.. that's probably comparing apples to oranges. Id fight the urge, and keep looking, that just seems like a lot of money, exp that people just are not buying larger trucks right now. just my $0.02

JMLoughrey 10-05-2012 08:33 AM

Re: Purchase price - Too much?
 
look up the galves price on the vehicle, or the "fair" trade in condition on KBB. Those are going to be your most accurate ideas of what the dealership "most likely" paid on the vehicle. Ask the dealership what work they've put into it since aquiring the vehicle. Ask for service records, ask for the pre delivery inspection report. Carfax if you havent already.

How are the tires, what kind of brake life is left, spark plugs, how many keys?

on my local kbb that vehicle comes up at $14,317 dealership retail.

Panerai 10-05-2012 09:30 AM

Re: Purchase price - Too much?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by SvenskaJeepGuy (Post 692672)
Wow i bought mine almost four years ago with 45k less miles on it for less than that.... Guess i got a deal, eventhough mine is a laredo and not a limited


This was at the height of the financial crash.....there were deals to be had for sure..

Panerai 10-05-2012 09:43 AM

Re: Purchase price - Too much?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by JMLoughrey (Post 692791)
look up the galves price on the vehicle, or the "fair" trade in condition on KBB. Those are going to be your most accurate ideas of what the dealership "most likely" paid on the vehicle. Ask the dealership what work they've put into it since aquiring the vehicle. Ask for service records, ask for the pre delivery inspection report. Carfax if you havent already.

How are the tires, what kind of brake life is left, spark plugs, how many keys?

on my local kbb that vehicle comes up at $14,317 dealership retail.

I think all good advice here... ^^^

I think overall condition and what you are willing to pay come into play here. If it falls in the KBB/NADA suggested norm then at that point the balls in your court. It seems that different regions of the country can provide better deals so if you hear someone on the internet paid X price but you can't find that in your area then you get frustrated.

I know in my market (the southwest) GC are a hot item- move fast at good prices so I'm not necessarily going to find some of the better deals that others have around the country. I bought my last one in CA because "I" thought it was a fair deal and it was the very GC I wanted without compromise.

Good luck in your search....the right GC will surface

HowardJ 10-05-2012 09:46 AM

Re: Purchase price - Too much?
 
There is a clunk when I put it in neutral. Not drive, I've seen other people have had this problem, but I've never seen a solution.
It's surely not "normal"
Do any of you know what it is?
We agreed on 13.5 out the door with a 3 month/ 3k mile warranty
But that clunk still scares me.
They are putting it on the lift in a little bit to check things out.

Bikemobile 10-05-2012 10:00 AM

Re: Purchase price - Too much?
 
Front diff bushing. Make them fix it to get the deal done!!

HowardJ 10-05-2012 10:26 AM

Re: Purchase price - Too much?
 
Thank you, sir.
They are going to look at it soon

JMLoughrey 10-05-2012 10:30 AM

Re: Purchase price - Too much?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by HowardJ (Post 692817)
There is a clunk when I put it in neutral. Not drive, I've seen other people have had this problem, but I've never seen a solution.
It's surely not "normal"
Do any of you know what it is?
We agreed on 13.5 out the door with a 3 month/ 3k mile warranty
But that clunk still scares me.
They are putting it on the lift in a little bit to check things out.


Honestly, in my opinion, walk away now. They are willing to sell a vehicle that they havent properly checked out. They shouldn't have to put the vehicle on a lift, they should've done all that before they even put the vehicle on the lot for sale. At my dealership, granted its a honda dealership, no used car gets put for sale before its gone through an entire inspection, no surprised later on down the line. Thats why its a presidents award winning dealership.

Back when i was buying my JGC, i called a few dealerships and they told me right over the phone they werent selling the vehicle after they did an inspection, i had several tell me that they hadnt put the vehicle through the shop and were going to allow me to test drive it. I walked from those dealerships and have no regrets.

Also, check into your states used car warrenty laws, in my state, if you spend more then $5k on a vehicle at a dealership they are required by law to give you a 90 day/3K miles so dont think you're getting anything out of that.

HowardJ 10-05-2012 10:32 AM

Re: Purchase price - Too much?
 
Well, it wasn't technically up for sale yet.
I saw it Sunday on their back lot, it's still not "listed" for sale, I inquired about it Tuesday an test drove it yesterday and this morning as well.
So that's why they haven't checked it yet "/


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:32 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2012 - JeepGarage.Org
The Jeep Grand Cherokee Owners Community