Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Troubleshooting/Problems (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f181/)
-   -   Power WIndows Problem (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f181/power-windows-problem-48390.html)

Madanio24 10-04-2012 10:27 PM

Power WIndows Problem

I know this isn't the right forum for this question but i figure someone could help.

I am working on my Friends 05 Pontiac G6 v6. Her power windows do not work. The car uses a circuit breaker for the power windows which was replaced and is fine. None of the windows work even from their own door switches. Basically i pulled off the driver door panel and removed the switch, i get 12 volts to the master switch with the key to 'Run' which means the circuit breaker is fine. Apparently ive been reading that if the master switch goes bad then it can stop the other switches from operating. Any Suggestions?

JMLoughrey 10-05-2012 12:50 PM

Re: Power WIndows Problem

correct, if the master switch is bad most of the time none of the other windows will work.

Also verify you have power to the window motor.

Aside from that, i would grab a master switch from a junkyard, also try to clean the contact, so many times i've taken doors apart to do speakers, put it all back together and the master switch was so corroded on the terminals there would be no connection at all.

Madanio24 10-05-2012 02:09 PM

These terminals were pretty good, no corrosion. I am getting 12v constant to the master so it must be the switch. I ordered one for 15 on ebay used, we will see how it goes next week. But shes a girl so she doesent do anything to her car to make it a really complicated electrical problem lol.

Madanio24 10-19-2012 09:32 AM

Ok guys so i swapped her master window switch for a new one and the windows work fine. She also said during the week the old switch would sometimes work and sometimes not. We will see how this new switch works.

Madanio24 10-22-2012 09:54 PM

Power windows still work intermitently anything else i should try?

Madanio24 10-23-2012 04:33 PM

bump

stashgto 10-23-2012 05:51 PM

The next time it doesn't work bang the door close to the motor. If that doesn't work check for power at the motor when you depress the switch.

Madanio24 10-23-2012 07:24 PM

When it stops working all switches stop working.

stashgto 10-23-2012 10:18 PM

Is there any power coming into the door when that happens? Are there any other electrical devices that don't work during this? Is that the only fuse that pops?

Madanio24 10-24-2012 01:20 AM

It's on a circuit breaker type fuse so I'm not sure if it resets itself. When they weren't working I measured 12v from the wires going into the master. Everything else works just not the windows. I am going to try to unplug the other door switches to try to narrow down a door switch or motor that maybe shorting out. And if I can't find anything with that then ill trace the wires from the master and try to find a pinches wire.

Madanio24 11-13-2012 07:39 PM

Bump anyone?