Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Trouble Shooting/Problems/Service (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f107/)
-   -   No bus (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f107/no-bus-48410.html)

Willir2 10-05-2012 01:19 PM

No bus

3 Attachment(s)
-Well I had to say good bye to my 2011 WK2 with 3.6l -

The other day I was driving and all the electronics shut down and dummies lights lit up. I thought the engine just died. But curiousity got the best of me and I pressed the gas pedal to find that the engine was still running but no electronics working in vehicle, just dummy lights and a Message that READ "NO BUS". So I headed to the next exit and found a parking lot and parked and put the Jeep in park and tried to shut off engine. Engine would not shut off, so I tore off the button put key in still nothing. So I call the local dealerships service dept they had no clue what to do to shut it off, I then Called Chrysler Corporate and still no answer. They said to wait for ERS to come, after an hour passing by with the truck idling with no electronics and no way of shutting down. The jeeps engine overheated and started to knock and then smoke exiting the engine bay and exhaust. Thatís when the ERS guy shows up and pulled the PCM or PCI Fuse and jeep went to sleep. So I had the 2011 Jeep bought back from me and now I'm in a 2013 with 3.6L - THIS IS THE LAST CHANCE I WILL GIVE JEEP/CHRYSLER/MOPAR if this one fails Game over.

andyh 10-05-2012 01:24 PM

Re: No bus

Wow that sucks

AKHLK 10-05-2012 01:39 PM

What does "No Bus" mean? Did they ever give you any explanation as to what happened? I'm just curious.

Doc_d 10-05-2012 01:49 PM

In older cars every sensor, every light, every switch had their own circuit. In new cars their is a network. Things like sensors and switches can be added very easily as an addressable device without having to redesign all the circuits. This network is referred to as the "bus".

The dash is just another device on the network. The "no bus" message you saw was probably the dash saying, "hey I can't talk to the network". This is why the dash couldn't send the signal to shut off the engine.

I also suspect the PCM/ECU wasn't getting signals about coolant temp or couldn't send signals to turn the fans on which lead to the overheating.

If Chrysler replaced your vehicle with a new one that is some seriously great customer service. Any manufactured product can have problems. As long as the manufacturer stands behind it and makes it right Is all that matters.

Willir2 10-05-2012 02:40 PM

This happened this past Saturday and on Monday the shop stated they pluged the fuse back in hooked battery back up and the Jeep started up with no electronic problems. THey stated that the motor was knocking and smoking but other then that they had no codes showing electronic issues. So they said they were ordering a new engine and then will install that and run more tests. Thankfully it is no longer my problem.

walterhudson 10-06-2012 12:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Willir2 (Post 692947)
This happened this past Saturday and on Monday the shop stated they pluged the fuse back in hooked battery back up and the Jeep started up with no electronic problems. THey stated that the motor was knocking and smoking but other then that they had no codes showing electronic issues. So they said they were ordering a new engine and then will install that and run more tests. Thankfully it is no longer my problem.

They'll then sell it to some unsuspecting schmuck.

steveo 10-06-2012 05:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by walterhudson (Post 693171)
They'll then sell it to some unsuspecting schmuck.

I believe the title will disclose it was a dealer buy back.

Duff Daddy 10-06-2012 06:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by steveo (Post 693203)
I believe the title will disclose it was a dealer buy back.

Zero warranty and it will say buy back. Also vehicle is not eligible for a service contract

Pillbucket 10-06-2012 09:01 AM

Holy crap!! Where is this fuse that the tech guy pulled? It might be of use to others that may run into this situation?

Scottina06 10-06-2012 09:09 AM

wow...that sux a big one! Glad you got a new one though!

AAAA 10-06-2012 10:08 AM

They should use it as a source for used parts. Glad you are OK.

jerkylips 10-06-2012 10:10 AM

Serious question - why would anyone ever want to buy a buyback if there's no warranty? Are they deeply discounted when sold this way?