Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Interior/Exterior/Visual (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f176/)
-   -   HID's finally being installed. (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f176/hids-finally-being-installed-48447.html)

mike0227 10-06-2012 11:16 AM

HID's finally being installed.

So i went online and bought 2 kits from xentec. H11 for lows and H16 for fogs ( thanks for the info from fellow JG members). This kit doesn't have that canbus relay or whatever it is. But they are installed with no error codes. Very happy no shake, no faulty ballast. I'll have some pictures up later today, along with the fog light kit installed. I Love My JEEP!!!:slapfight:

robpp 10-06-2012 12:20 PM

Just because it "worked" without the relay does NOT mean its safe.

Fry the module and then let's talk about the 15 minutes and 10 bucks you saved.

bclemons 10-06-2012 01:15 PM

Re: HID's finally being installed.

You do not need a relay harness a typical HID system uses less power than a halagen light.

SvenskaJeepGuy 10-06-2012 01:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bclemons (Post 693316)
You do not need a relay harness a typical HID system uses less power than a halOgen light.

HAHA good luck with that! the vehicle will sense the headlights are not getting the correct amount of power and will increase the power sent to the lights. you can easily blow ballast, bulb, or worse because you tried to save $20 and not buy a relay. relays control the amount of power delivered to the headlights and are a necessary safety feature. good luck getting home when you blow out both headlights at night time.

SvenskaJeepGuy 10-06-2012 01:25 PM

i hope you have projector headlight housings because putting hids into a halogen reflector is very inconsiderate to other drivers, illegal and makes you look like a douche

bclemons 10-06-2012 01:51 PM

The car only puts out 14.2 volts + - The ballasts are designed to accept normal car voltages. Your car cannot put out more and does not sense anything. The computers that sometimes give bulb out warnings only look at open circuits, low voltage. On systems like these you sometimes get a bulb out warning with a HID because it takes less power to operate. In most cases Hid lights,once ignited, can operate on as little as 8vts. In that case using a "error code eliminator, can-bus, anti-flicker" device will add resistance to the system. Also built into these devices is a capacitor to drive DRL's and stop flickering if installed. I would not recommend using HID systems in standard reflector headlights as they do not put out a controlled beam like a projector and they cause a lot of glare. Your best bet is to get a used pair of factory Hid headlights and wire those up if you want HID's on Jeeps. As far as the fogs, the HID bulbs will start to melt the cheep fog housings and again, they cause a lot of glare.

Mongoose9400 10-06-2012 02:39 PM

Always use a relay harness regardless...simple, cheap, and insurance.

Yes, during steady state operation the HIDs draw less current. It's the initial startup surge which causes the damage to OEM harnesses and modules.

Sent from my iPhone 5

mike0227 10-06-2012 07:36 PM

I've never had a problem not using a relay. I used the same kit in my 08 wk and 04 wj never had a issue. I appreciate your concern, but with the history i have with them im sure it wont be a problem.

mike0227 10-06-2012 07:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SvenskaJeepGuy (Post 693320)
i hope you have projector headlight housings because putting hids into a halogen reflector is very inconsiderate to other drivers, illegal and makes you look like a douche

I have the regular halogen housing and the cut off is the same. I follow a friend drive a drop TL and he said he wasn't getting any glare in his mirrors.

FAUEE 10-06-2012 09:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SvenskaJeepGuy (Post 693320)

x2

Get some projectors and you'll be amazed at the difference in light output/quality.

SvenskaJeepGuy 10-06-2012 11:24 PM

there is a set in the for sale forum now for a great price

mike0227 10-07-2012 07:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FAUEE (Post 693424)
x2

Get some projectors and you'll be amazed at the difference in light output/quality.

Yeah i had projectors on my 08 and 04. I just put the kit in because i need a brighter light at night to see. I'll eventually get the projector housing.