Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Off Road Modifications (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f42/)
-   -   Question regarding longer shocks on WK (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f42/question-regarding-longer-shocks-on-wk-48472.html)

mTBrunner83 10-06-2012 09:57 PM

Question regarding longer shocks on WK

This is probably a simple question but how do you get the longer shocks on the WK? I was attempting to get the longer 643 monoroe load levelers onto the rear this weekend but could not get the bottom bolt low enough to get them in. Is there something I am missing as I have heard others getting these on?

paroxysym 10-08-2012 02:58 PM

Re: Question regarding longer shocks on WK

i think i read somewhere that you had to drisconnect the swaybar to allow the axle enough drop

Valpacer 10-08-2012 03:58 PM

You can compress the shock by hand to get it on, or use a small bottle jack under it, or as stated remove the sway bar and you can get the axle to drop further.

mTBrunner83 10-08-2012 09:44 PM

It is my understanding on the 2007 WK the driver's side gas tank does not allow the sway bar to drop far enough? The load levelers have a coil over shock so compressing those by hand is pretty much impossible. But all this information is very helpful. Thank you.

Valpacer 10-08-2012 09:49 PM

With the sway bar off the diff can pivot enough that the UCA will contact the fuel tank skid. Most have trimmed that down to give more flex with longer shocks. There 'should' be enough length to get in on, if not you will have to unbolt the diff end of the UCA over the tank to get the diff down low enough. You will need a big ratchet strap to put it back together probably (helps to line it up.).

You are right on the LL, a small bottle jack usually helps with those.

Lucas J 10-10-2012 08:35 AM

Go to auto zone or advanced auto and rent a spring compressor. Its free to rent. There a $50 security deposit that you get back. This will allow you to compress the shocks to get them in.

mTBrunner83 10-10-2012 11:28 AM

I have a coil compressor already. Do they have compressors for the smaller springs?

Valpacer 10-10-2012 10:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lucas J (Post 695029)
Go to auto zone or advanced auto and rent a spring compressor. Its free to rent. There a $50 security deposit that you get back. This will allow you to compress the shocks to get them in.

I forget you guys can do that :lol:

Lucas J 10-11-2012 06:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mTBrunner83 (Post 695113)
I have a coil compressor already. Do they have compressors for the smaller springs?

I think they only have one size.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Valpacer (Post 695444)
I forget you guys can do that :lol:

:p

paroxysym 10-16-2012 12:07 PM

why not take the stock jack and use that to press the shock up the the bottom location? that is if youre not using it to get the jeep in the air