Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee - WK2 - (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/)
-   -   undercoating your jeep (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/undercoating-your-jeep-48542.html)

silencex 10-08-2012 12:05 PM

undercoating your jeep

Hi all. just a quick question. i'm from ny and i drive alot on the beach in the summers, plus i'm a snowboarder so i'll be hitting it up in vermont or upstate alot. i'm kept being told to get an undercoat done for rust protection and what not. honestly to say thats about all i know on undercoating besides the how to video's i've seen on youtube. as for that, i'll probably not do it on my and have it done professionally. for those of you in ny (mostly the boroughs and li) the only place i've found is coach auto body out n syosset, ny for $450.

so question is, is it worth getting the undercoat done? did some reading an apparently our of the factory theres supposed to be some good coating already so i shouldnt haven't do it. also read the con's for doing it and that it can actually promote more rust forming and what not.

peckmv 10-08-2012 12:23 PM

Re: undercoating your jeep

Your Jeep already has several layers of rust prevention. You also have a rust through warranty from the factory. I was told by Chrysler that undercoating or aftermarket rustproofing can not only void the factory warranty but promote rust due to clogging drain holes designed to drain trapped water. Do what you want, by I would not.;)

silencex 10-08-2012 01:35 PM

i didn't know that. thanks for that bit of info!!

Suther 10-08-2012 06:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by peckmv (Post 694015)
Your Jeep already has several layers of rust prevention. You also have a rust through warranty from the factory. I was told by Chrysler that undercoating or aftermarket rustproofing can not only void the factory warranty but promote rust due to clogging drain holes designed to drain trapped water. Do what you want, by I would not.;)

Mmh, sure the manufacturer tells you not to take care of your car.... However, the argument with clogging drain holes is a reasonable one. But professionals would know this, be able to detect them and treat it right.

I do protect my underbody and caveats since I own cars (learned it from my father who is an antic car hobbiest). I borroscoped my Jeep and checked the underbody and there is nothing but paint, plus same few plastic panels. The paint will do the job but any hit with gravel will open it up and voila rust.

Be careful with the rust through warranty as it usually only applies when the rust goes from inside to the outside and not vice versa.

For my Jeep I used thin wax for the internal areas and brushed Fluid Film to the underbody. It's not a lifetime treatment as it is basically thick sticky grease but it lasts 5-8 years and does a great job. Check your underbody after the season to see areas of concern before any rust starts up.

Finally, rust prevention is like politics if applied you never know if that was the cause for the success.:D

HoustonRider 10-08-2012 09:01 PM

I"ve had undercoating on trucks before and after a while it just peels off anyway. There isn't much prep to it (spray it down, let it dry a bit then spray the UC on). it gets all over, back-side of rims, exhaust, etc.

I stopped doing it about 5 years ago. and I lived on the Gulf Coast forever.

JFD328 10-08-2012 10:06 PM

I have actually been doing some research on this today do to the fact it was brought up in a WK thread http://www.jeepgarage.org/f5/underne...ent-48135.html. in This thread is a link to another forum. A person in this thread did multiple experiments to figure out which undercoat protection is the best. After reading through the entire thread I came to the conclusion that i will be buying Amsoil and ask a body shop in MA to spray it on for me or ask my mechanic back in NY if he can put my car on the lift and let me spray it myself before the winter comes.

JFD 328

peckmv 10-09-2012 05:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Suther (Post 694153)
Mmh, sure the manufacturer tells you not to take care of your car.... However, the argument with clogging drain holes is a reasonable one. But professionals would know this, be able to detect them and treat it right.

I do protect my underbody and caveats since I own cars (learned it from my father who is an antic car hobbiest). I borroscoped my Jeep and checked the underbody and there is nothing but paint, plus same few plastic panels. The paint will do the job but any hit with gravel will open it up and voila rust.

Be careful with the rust through warranty as it usually only applies when the rust goes from inside to the outside and not vice versa.

For my Jeep I used thin wax for the internal areas and brushed Fluid Film to the underbody. It's not a lifetime treatment as it is basically thick sticky grease but it lasts 5-8 years and does a great job. Check your underbody after the season to see areas of concern before any rust starts up.

Finally, rust prevention is like politics if applied you never know if that was the cause for the success.:D

My experience with rustproofing and undercoating is that the person that does the work is usually some kid that oversprays the product and doesn't care if drain holes are clogged. Just about all rust proof warranties are rust through only. I have never seen a surface rust warranty. I have skid plates on my JGC so most of my underbody is shielded from stone chipping. My previous veichles never had antirust or undercoating and never had a rust issue with them after owning them for almost 15 years. I live on the east coast so the enviroment here is a proving ground for rust. Rust prevention has come a long way in the past few decades and the manufacturers have done a good job with this. You really don't see veichles rusting out like they used to.:)

Doc_d 10-09-2012 09:57 AM

Undercoating, windshield treatments, are all just expensive snake oil. The dealers are just trying to maximize their profits while you are in a spending mood.

I believe 60 minutes or some show like that did a story on it years ago. They used to drill small holes to rustproof from the inside. It turned out the cars with the rustproofing rusted much earlier than those without because of the holes that were drilled.

Jeff_Jeske 10-09-2012 10:09 AM

I have a 2002 limited that has seen 11 years of Wisconsin winters and liquid salt. The truck still looks great. I don't even wash the darn thing anymore. I'm not worried about my 2011 because odds are it will last even longer than my 2002.

silencex 10-09-2012 08:16 PM

thanks for all the input guys. i'm gonna check out that link that was posted and thinking about. i just picked up my gc overland last night so will have to see what i'll do with.

thanks again!!

Suther 10-11-2012 08:50 PM

Sure the each what suits him best, that's the good thing on a forum. You get different opinions.

I used this product Fluid FilmŪ | Corrosion Preventative, Lubricant and Rust Inhibitor

The more liquid is sprayed into the doors, frames etc the sticky ones is brushed on. We used within the Navy and my experience is from there it works very well. I used Waxoil before and that was great too, the FluidFilm is just a touch better and offers the different liquidity (is that the right term:confused:).

I fully agree that most of the dealers don't have a clue bout this, but there are several shops/chains especially in the rust belt who are pretty good and knowledgeable. They are specialized to this treatment though.

For factory rustproofing, Mercedes is replacing or repainting doors on one model for the manufacturing years 2007-2010 because of rust spots on the lower end.

armoredsaint 10-11-2012 09:53 PM

undercoating is so 1980's ;)