Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee - WJ (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f51/)
-   -   Grand Cherokee won't start after I installed cold air intake (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f51/grand-cherokee-wont-start-after-i-installed-cold-air-intake-48584.html)

04JGCSpecialEdition 10-09-2012 09:59 AM

Grand Cherokee won't start after I installed cold air intake

I have a 2004 Grand Cherokee Special Edition 4.0L with 78K on it. Never had any issues with it until I installed a K&N cold air intake yesterday. I completed the installation and went to start it but it won't. It cranks but won't turn over. I can hear the fuel pump. It has to be something with the intake... Any help would be awesome

JeepFreak12 10-09-2012 01:14 PM

Re: Grand Cherokee won't start after I installed cold air intake

Did you by chance unplug anything?

04JGCSpecialEdition 10-09-2012 01:17 PM

I put the key in to the on position and off then on and off then on and left it. Getting codes P 1489 and P 1490... Any clues

TJXJWJ 10-09-2012 01:32 PM

I don't have any idea on those codes, but there is absolutely no reason the intake should be causing that problem. Something else happened. Either a plug was disconnected and not properly reconnected, or a wire got yanked, or something else happened, but the intake itself wouldn't be the issue (unless something is in the tube restricting air or the filter is still wrapped in plastic)

JeepFreak12 10-09-2012 01:51 PM

Those codes i believe are for overheating... have you tried clearing the codes and see what happens?

TJXJWJ 10-09-2012 02:11 PM

Gotta love wjjeeps.com

P1489 (M)
High Speed Fan CTRL Relay Circuit
An open or shorted condition detected in the control circuit of the high-speed radiator fan control relay.
P1490 (M)
Low Speed Fan CTRL Relay Circuit
An open or shorted condition detected in control circuit of the low-speed radiator fan control relay.

JeepFreak12 10-09-2012 02:13 PM

I stand corrected!

TJXJWJ 10-09-2012 02:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 4.7beast (Post 694624)
I stand corrected!

HAHAHAH....hey you were damn close...and off the top of your head. I had to go cheat and look it up.

to the original poster....you'll find www.wjjeeps.com to be an invalueable source of info for your rig. Bookmark that $hit...you'll be glad you did. :thumbsup:

04JGCSpecialEdition 10-09-2012 08:28 PM

So I re-installed the original intake to check to see if it was the vehicle. Had a rough start up but it started. So I removed the original and installed the K&N. It actually started. The codes are gone which is good... But now to start it I have to step on the gas otherwise it will start up and idle but then in a few seconds will shut off. Any more ideas?? Very strange. Every vehicle I have ever had I put a K&N on it with no issues. Is this a jeep thing??

Mongoose9400 10-09-2012 09:13 PM

Damage the IAT sensor at all? Everything plugged in all the way?

Sent from my iPhone 5

FlyinRyan 10-10-2012 01:40 AM

Adding a CAI will not cause a no-start condition.

JeepFreak12 10-10-2012 05:23 AM

Check the Idle air speed control sensor (side of tb). The plunger on the sensor needs to be all the way in to be started. If its pushed out, it will start and stall.