Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Troubleshooting/Problems Discussion (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f77/)
-   -   Changing rear axle bearings (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f77/changing-rear-axle-bearings-486.html)

mon_21 06-11-2009 06:36 PM

Changing rear axle bearings

I will be tackling a rear axle leak issue, question is, are those the only ones I need to replace it? http://i1.ebayimg.com/03/i/000/d7/3f/595b_1.JPG

hemi.jon 06-11-2009 06:41 PM

Re: Changing rear axle bearings

have u done this before? do you have a press? more then likely u wont do this yourself. it takes a bit of knowledge to set diffs.

were exactly is it leaking from? you wont need bearings for a leak, just seals.

Marlin 06-11-2009 06:54 PM

^^^ what he said Mon, it aint a job for the faint hearted mate.

mon_21 06-11-2009 07:30 PM

Thanks for the concerns, but I have changed my front differential, replaced all my rotor, brake pads and emergency brake shoes ( where I found out that there was a leak to begin with ) in the past when I didnt had a clue, but we both survived. I am pretty much mechanical inclined and I am sure we can survive this again.

But to answers your questions:

yes i can get someone with a machine press for the bearings:
the leak is coming out from where the axle shaft seal retainer is installed which in turn goes straight to the e-brake shoe and just collects there rendering the hand brake useless. ( Prior to my changing and cleaning it )
not for the faint hearted? hey if I can deal with you guys, I can deal with this. LoL!

If anything goes wrong, I have JG to lend me a hand! So I am set.

Sooooooooo, is that all I need? Thinking of getting this done this summer.

hemi.jon 06-11-2009 07:47 PM

does that axle have an outer seal? my TJ had it. as long as its a non c-clip u wont even need to open the diff,

-pull the wheel
-pull the brakes
-pull the axle shaft
-pull out old seal
-insert new seal.

u dont even need anything special to do it, its like a 2 hour job max

Marlin 06-11-2009 07:47 PM

Yeah man, that's all you'll need. Take a close look at the axle, see if there's a groove in it. It might be wise to either a. tighten the seal spring by ever so slightly shortening it or b. speedy-sleeving the axle. Noter, this is only if it's badly grooved. I have no idea how many miles your Jeep's done.

mon_21 06-11-2009 07:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hemi.jon (Post 10216)
does that axle have an outer seal? my TJ had it. as long as its a non c-clip u wont even need to open the diff,

-pull the wheel
-pull the brakes
-pull the axle shaft
-pull out old seal
-insert new seal.

u dont even need anything special to do it, its like a 2 hour job max

Thanks man, thats the first step I was planning on doing, making sure that its only the seal thats broken. And if i open up the differential is just for mainly draining it and cleaning with brake clean. I wont even touch those spider gears. Thats to advance for me for now...hehehe

mon_21 06-11-2009 08:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marlin (Post 10217)
Yeah man, that's all you'll need. Take a close look at the axle, see if there's a groove in it. It might be wise to either a. tighten the seal spring by ever so slightly shortening it or b. speedy-sleeving the axle. Noter, this is only if it's badly grooved. I have no idea how many miles your Jeep's done.

133449 to be exact. And I will keep your advice in mind. Will check on the bearings while Im at it.

oh and yeah, we dont use c-clips!

AcidCold 06-13-2009 04:28 PM

I re-built my brothers lifted rear dana 35 axle, it was a pain in the a$$ since i didn't have a press so i improvised! i had a nice pipe and axle spacers to help me press them in in one piece. All in all a very hard job, if you are tool incline and have a good set of tools, go for it! if not, i would recommend you take it in.
I managed to install TJ rear disk brakes wile i was at it! =0)

mon_21 06-13-2009 08:57 PM

Thanks for the encouragement, the press is the only thing that is putting it on hold, plus the constant rain here.