Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Troubleshooting/Problems (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f203/)
-   -   01 Limited 4.7 occasional no start problem (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f203/01-limited-4-7-occasional-no-start-problem-48600.html)

SilverLimited 10-09-2012 02:51 PM

01 Limited 4.7 occasional no start problem

We have a 2001 Limited 4.7 in the family owned since brand new. In the last couple of weeks it has developed a intermittent starting problem. The car has just over 125,000 miles it, and the starter and ignition switch are original. The battery is less than 18 months old, and the car has never had any starting issues.

Intermittently when attempting to start the car, when the key is turned the starter does not engage or spin. No sound at all. All the dash lights, needles and any other lights on do not dim, and the instrument needles do not bounce around. It does not demonstrate any of the classic bad battery problems. After about 4-10 repeated attempts of key to off, then start, the car will start up normally and run fine. The problem is random, and the only pattern is usually after the car has been running, then parked and then attempted to be restarted. It has on occasion not started from a cold start up attempt.

I have checked battery connections at starter/solenoid and at the battery. Cleaned and tightened the battery connections. We have taken the car to Advance Auto and had the analyzer testing completed. Everything at least during that test showed good.

Looking for comments, and suggestions before taking into the dealership for further diagnostics. My initial thoughts are either the ignition switch or the starter but would like comments in helping to possibly narrowing it down.

thanks

TimYoung 10-09-2012 05:54 PM

Re: 01 Limited 4.7 occasional no start problem

I have an 01 WJ with a 4.7 also. Mine experienced something similar over the last couple days. No start, strange noise during starting. Turned out to be a starter. My mechanic told me it's pretty common, but with nearly 200K on mine, I guess I can't complain. Cost me about $200 to have it done. Starter is located directly above the control arm, next to the HOT exhaust pipe. Lol.

cheapjeep 10-09-2012 10:34 PM

Change out the starter relay with the horn relay in the power distribution center by the battery for a while and see if the problem goes away. If it does replace the starter relay.If not I'd suspect the age old "dead spot" in the starter.

SilverLimited 10-12-2012 02:18 PM

Thanks for the tip on the relay(s). Swapped them this morning, we'll see what happens.

mac

Frango100 10-13-2012 06:34 AM

If it doesn´t start next time, have someone to feel the starter relay when you try to start. If it doesn´t click, it could be also the park/neutral switch/adjustment inside the tranny.

SilverLimited 11-02-2012 07:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cheapjeep (Post 694894)
Change out the starter relay with the horn relay in the power distribution center by the battery for a while and see if the problem goes away. If it does replace the starter relay.If not I'd suspect the age old "dead spot" in the starter.

UPDATE --- :thumbsup:

Swapped the relays back on 10/12 and to date have NOT had a starting failure in 3 weeks. Will leave the relays in the places they are in. Can live with the horn being non function. Thanks for the tip cheapjeep.