Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Export Grand Cherokee 2011+ (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f190/)
-   -   CRD oil on special (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f190/crd-oil-on-special-48607.html)

John47 10-09-2012 05:52 PM

CRD oil on special

For those in Australia that supply their own oil for changes, Repco have Shell Helix Ultra Extra 5W-30 on special at the moment for $50/5l. Usual price $75.
This oil complies fully with the Chrysler MS11106 spec for the CRD, and shows that number on the container..
My dealer was happy enough for me to supply atthe 10k service and this was the oil I provided then, so I've just picked up another 10l.
John

GlennR 10-09-2012 06:09 PM

Re: CRD oil on special

....ooooo....timing not quite right for me, cars serviced today. A cheap $480 for 10L of oil and a tyre rotation if I'm lucky.

Beerenton 10-10-2012 01:06 AM

Thanks for that John, I grabbed 2 of the 3 containers off the shelf at my local Repco today. In case anyone is wondering, like I was, Enforcer's wonderful DIY oil change instructions state that you'll need 8.1 litres.

Cheers
Brenton

ENFORCER 10-10-2012 05:23 PM

It is closer to 8.4lt total fill with a new filter.
Thanks for the heads up on the oil prices.

Swampy 10-11-2012 07:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ENFORCER (Post 695291)
It is closer to 8.4lt total fill with a new filter.

Enforcer is right. I have self performed 2 services now and 8.4 litres is spot on.

zzkazu 10-16-2012 12:35 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Anybody notice that the Shell Ultra Helix 5W-30 container doesn't include the "MS-11106" notification any more?

Strange as the 2012 specs still refer to it?

http://www-static.shell.com/static/a...sumer_2012.pdf

John47 10-16-2012 01:54 AM

2 Attachment(s)
the rascals!!! I picked up 2 at Repco the other day and specifically looked at the back of the container to double check I had the right stuff - yep - the MS11106 approval was there........just went to check again and the second container - pretty much identical appearance - doesn't have the approval!!
I have one with and one without. What the???
Wonder what the story is??
Good spotting Zzkazu

John47 10-16-2012 05:59 PM

well I followed up with a phone call to the Shell Aus technical help desk and got the information that indeed the Chrysler approval has been removed from the container AND the techical data sheet available on the Shell Australia website
http://www.epc.shell.com/Docs/GPCDOC...1203151136.pdf
The contact did not know why, but surmised that the formulation of the oil may have been slightly changed so that it no longer has the approval. I noted that it retained all the other major hitech diesel makers approvals - plus referred them to Zzkazu's link above.
Upshot is that the contact will do some more homework and come back to me with more info if possible.
In the meantime - it is possible that the Shell Ultra Helix Extra 5W-30 may not comply.

Swampy 10-16-2012 08:44 PM

As I wrote in another thread, I wouldn't get too hung up on the MS 11106 approval. Its the other numbers that are important: SAE 5W-30, ACEA C3, MB 229.51.

Maybe we should consider using Mobil 1 ESP Formula 5W-30?

Mobil 1 ESP Formula 5W-30

I don't think that I could bring myself to use Mobil 1 again, after a previous poor experience. However they do say that the formulation has improved.

selous 10-18-2012 08:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John47 (Post 697810)
well I followed up with a phone call to the Shell Aus technical help desk and got the information that indeed the Chrysler approval has been removed from the container AND the techical data sheet available on the Shell Australia website
http://www.epc.shell.com/Docs/GPCDOC...1203151136.pdf
The contact did not know why, but surmised that the formulation of the oil may have been slightly changed so that it no longer has the approval. I noted that it retained all the other major hitech diesel makers approvals - plus referred them to Zzkazu's link above.
Upshot is that the contact will do some more homework and come back to me with more info if possible.
In the meantime - it is possible that the Shell Ultra Helix Extra 5W-30 may not comply.

That'd be right. I picked up 6 bottles!

John47 10-18-2012 08:51 PM

Well the situation hasn't improved.
progress report from email received from Shell Technical Services today.......
"Hi John,
It appears you bought old and new product formulations off the same shelf. The current (since Feb 2012) formulation for Helix Ultra Extra 5W-30 does not claim any formal ACEA specifications (including C2 & C3) or Chrysler MS-11106 specification (including some other OEM’s). There was a change from a formulation developed in XHVI (that carried an ACEA claim), to a new formulation in Yubase/PAO that uses a different additive.

At the moment, we don’t currently have a product on which we can claim Chrysler MS-11106.(To Claim MS-11106 you need to meet MB 229.51 + the TEOST test.)

If you require follow up information on your query, please quote the reference number for your case from the subject line of this email."

and my immediate return email.....

"Thank you for your reply….but I must say I am more confused and concerned than I previously was.

You noted "The current (since Feb 2012) formulation for Helix Ultra Extra 5W-30 does not claim any formal ACEA specifications (including C2 & C3) " and "you need to meet MB 229.51".

The apparently new stock container that I have is marked with ACEA C3 and MB 229.51 amongst a number of other manufacturer approvals. Your website product information for this oil confirms this. The Chrysler MS11106 being deleted is the only information that seems to be different from previous.

It seems your advice is in conflict with the container and website information - or am I missing something??

Can this oil be safely used in my 2012 CRD Jeep Grand Cherokee without compromising the engine or Chrysler warranty?

I would appreciate if you can clarify.
Thanks"

This is turning into much harder work than I anticipated.
John

allypally 10-18-2012 08:55 PM

I might just revert back to Singer Sewing Machine oil.