Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Troubleshooting/Problems (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f203/)
-   -   2002 Special Edition Overland 4.7 H.O Start-Up Problem (VIDEO) (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f203/2002-special-edition-overland-4-7-h-o-start-up-problem-video-48622.html)

MikeBarillaro 10-09-2012 09:43 PM

2002 Special Edition Overland 4.7 H.O Start-Up Problem (VIDEO)
 
Hello Everybody, my 2002 Jeep Grand Cherokee Special Edition Overland 4.7 H.O has been having this Start-up Problem for about a year now. If the jeep sits for 8+ hours and I start it, it sounds like a bear, If I drive it till warm and let it sit for 30+ min then try to start it up again it has trouble starting up. Can you please watch this video of the noise my jeep makes
http://http://www.youtube.com/watch?...s&feature=plcp It also feels like I lose some power after the bad startup, and can also smell fuel in the Cab.. I was thinking maybe a bad Fuel Injector? let me know what you think.

Thanks, Mike

hoffmanestates 10-10-2012 05:42 AM

I have same issue but.once I rebuilt my motor I have the same problem sometimes I have to try.2-3 times before it.starts. it don't bother.me.much as.I only.paid $500 for the truck

Sent from my LG-P999 using Tapatalk 2

Antonio186 10-10-2012 06:44 AM

Re: 2002 Special Edition Overland 4.7 H.O Start-Up Problem (VIDEO)
 
possible clogged fuel filter. its kind of hard to tell from the first part of the video as to what it really sounds like. if you took another video of it while the camera was closer say in the jeep while starting and outside the jeep when running and getting closer to where the noise is the loudest we might be able to get a better sense of whats causing the noise. but the hard starting part afterward sounds like a clogged fuel filter to me.

MikeBarillaro 10-10-2012 08:03 AM

Re: 2002 Special Edition Overland 4.7 H.O Start-Up Problem (VIDEO)
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Antonio186 (Post 694993)
possible clogged fuel filter. its kind of hard to tell from the first part of the video as to what it really sounds like. if you took another video of it while the camera was closer say in the jeep while starting and outside the jeep when running and getting closer to where the noise is the loudest we might be able to get a better sense of whats causing the noise. but the hard starting part afterward sounds like a clogged fuel filter to me.


Thanks for the info, i will eventually take another video. I have been to several mechanics and none of them can tell me what is wrong with it, it's frustrating, although they have said the Fuel Filter + Pump are fine. But who knows, they just want my money anyway.

MikeBarillaro 10-10-2012 08:04 AM

Re: 2002 Special Edition Overland 4.7 H.O Start-Up Problem (VIDEO)
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by hoffmanestates (Post 694981)
I have same issue but.once I rebuilt my motor I have the same problem sometimes I have to try.2-3 times before it.starts. it don't bother.me.much as.I only.paid $500 for the truck

Sent from my LG-P999 using Tapatalk 2


Thanks for the Info, Hopefully I can make this problem stop.

Antonio186 10-10-2012 09:16 AM

Re: 2002 Special Edition Overland 4.7 H.O Start-Up Problem (VIDEO)
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeBarillaro (Post 695013)
Thanks for the info, i will eventually take another video. I have been to several mechanics and none of them can tell me what is wrong with it, it's frustrating, although they have said the Fuel Filter + Pump are fine. But who knows, they just want my money anyway.

the only way to really tell if the fuel filter and or pump are truly ok is it put a fuel pressure gauge on the fuel rail service port. it looks like tire valve you can screw the pressure gauge on there and check it before you crank it over at a cold start check it again once its running. then once it warms up check it again. then let the truck sit and try to start it up again after its warm. and check the pressure before crank. during crank and after you get it started. check to see if there are differences between the 2 test and compare the numbers against the factory spec. this should help determine if your getting proper fuel pressure.

MikeBarillaro 10-10-2012 09:37 AM

Re: 2002 Special Edition Overland 4.7 H.O Start-Up Problem (VIDEO)
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Antonio186 (Post 695057)
the only way to really tell if the fuel filter and or pump are truly ok is it put a fuel pressure gauge on the fuel rail service port. it looks like tire valve you can screw the pressure gauge on there and check it before you crank it over at a cold start check it again once its running. then once it warms up check it again. then let the truck sit and try to start it up again after its warm. and check the pressure before crank. during crank and after you get it started. check to see if there are differences between the 2 test and compare the numbers against the factory spec. this should help determine if your getting proper fuel pressure.

Thank-You, i will try that.

Antonio186 10-10-2012 09:52 AM

Re: 2002 Special Edition Overland 4.7 H.O Start-Up Problem (VIDEO)
 
1 Attachment(s)
also take a look at this attachment its directly from the WJ service manual on how to check fuel pressure.

Antonio186 10-10-2012 09:53 AM

Re: 2002 Special Edition Overland 4.7 H.O Start-Up Problem (VIDEO)
 
no problem any time.

bumnt 10-11-2012 09:59 AM

Re: 2002 Special Edition Overland 4.7 H.O Start-Up Problem (VIDEO)
 
Sounds almost like a fuel pressure bleed down.

Try this to see if you can determine the issue. After the Jeep sits, put the key in the ignition. Turn it to ON (not RUN/START), wait for the chime to stop, count to 5, then crank the motor.

If the WJ fires up without extra cranking, it's most likely a pressure bleed down.

My 02 Laredo had this problem and the dealer supposedly fixed it but it was never 100% right - I just learned to count to 5 to give the fuel pump extra time to pressurize the fuel rail and never had a problem with cranking.

-Kyle

MikeBarillaro 10-11-2012 01:40 PM

Re: 2002 Special Edition Overland 4.7 H.O Start-Up Problem (VIDEO)
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by bumnt (Post 695613)
Sounds almost like a fuel pressure bleed down.

Try this to see if you can determine the issue. After the Jeep sits, put the key in the ignition. Turn it to ON (not RUN/START), wait for the chime to stop, count to 5, then crank the motor.

If the WJ fires up without extra cranking, it's most likely a pressure bleed down.

My 02 Laredo had this problem and the dealer supposedly fixed it but it was never 100% right - I just learned to count to 5 to give the fuel pump extra time to pressurize the fuel rail and never had a problem with cranking.

-Kyle

I have tried this before, and to no avail. Still several seconds of cranking.. Maybe i will let it sit in the ON position for a little longer before trying to start.
Thanks for you're advice


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:36 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2012 - JeepGarage.Org
The Jeep Grand Cherokee Owners Community