Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Engine Performance/Intake/Exhaust (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f196/)
-   -   Anybody put a C.A.I in their 2002 Grand Cherokee 4.7 H.O. Or any jeep in general? (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f196/anybody-put-a-c-a-i-in-their-2002-grand-cherokee-4-7-h-o-or-any-jeep-in-general-48634.html)

MikeBarillaro 10-10-2012 08:10 AM

Anybody put a C.A.I in their 2002 Grand Cherokee 4.7 H.O. Or any jeep in general?

I was looking into getting a C.A.I for my 2002 Grand Cherokee Overland 4.7 H.O. I have gotten mixed reviews on them and am wondering if anybody has any experience with them. Do they make a difference? or is it just a waste of money? I can barely keep my foot off the gas with the 4.7 H.O as it is, I wonder what it would be like with an intake.

robpp 10-10-2012 08:37 AM

Re: Anybody put a C.A.I in their 2002 Grand Cherokee 4.7 H.O. Or any jeep in general?

many of the larger makers post up dno charts with their products. now many seem to dismiss the PROOF so take it all with a grain of salt.

i have had an intake on all my vehicles for the last 20 years or so/ IMO you also need to open up the exhaust to really benefit.

i also use mobil 1 and I change my own oil FWIW :lol:

StoneCold 10-10-2012 12:40 PM

Re: Anybody put a C.A.I in their 2002 Grand Cherokee 4.7 H.O. Or any jeep in general?

I made my own using 3" tubing, silicone elbows and a mushroom filter. Overall cost was about $80. Can't say I've noticed much of a difference, if any, but the sound alone will have you mashing the go fast pedal.

I would look into doing your exhaust too, to get the most from it.

Martyp 10-10-2012 12:44 PM

I bought the K&N 77 series FIPK Gen 2 (buy the plastic tube version though, even their dyno chart shows the 77 gives a tad less power).

IIRC K&N dyno'd it to around 14HP increase, it will be on their website to confirm though.

So you get a little bit of power but the noise is immense. People thought I fitted an exhaust to the truck. :D

When your not romping on it though, it is very quiet and civilised.

MikeBarillaro 10-11-2012 01:45 PM

Thanks everybody for the advice, I was looking at the K&N 77 Series but also saw good reviews on AIRAID. not sure what i want to pursue yet. Anybody have any info on "AIRAID"?

Martyp 10-11-2012 02:09 PM

Don't buy the 77 series, get the plastic tube version (63 series IIRC).

Never tried or heard much about the AirAid one but probably the same idea.

donddon 10-15-2012 03:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by StoneCold (Post 695135)
I made my own using 3" tubing, silicone elbows and a mushroom filter. Overall cost was about $80. Can't say I've noticed much of a difference, if any, but the sound alone will have you mashing the go fast pedal.

I would look into doing your exhaust too, to get the most from it.

Over the weekend I went to auto zone and got a cone filter for $50, removed the OEM filter and box and retrofitted the rubber sleeve and a cut out tube from the OEM filter box. This is all temporary as I figure out on retrofitting with pvc. I did notice a difference, however small but its there. I pull off from a stop a little faster, and the sound, well lets just say my 3 year old doesn't like standing in front of the WJ when I start it. Am sure it will be better when I open up the exhaust, and we are talking of the 4.0L I6. Plus alot of space is opened up.
So to answer MikeBarillaro , yes it makes a different and you really dont need to get the $200 filter assembly unless you have that $.

Tanner505 10-16-2012 09:50 PM

Air aid american made

BEEP!BEEP! 10-17-2012 08:12 AM

I have the K&N on my Overland, it came with it from the previous owner. I do not know what the stock air filter sounded like but the K&N looks AWESOME and sounds great too! Having the more open engine compartment is nice too... :)

Gus9890 11-16-2012 10:23 PM

Ain't been dyno'ed but I run Spectre and like it

janibeans 12-07-2012 11:56 AM

I ran an ebay special on mine... mounting was non-existant. I would've rather fabbed up a 4" intake and put a nice K&N w/ velocity stack on it, then build a heat shield. I doubt the ebay special really made much power, but it sounded cool. An engine of that size would respond REALLY well to a 4" intake+velocity stack and filter. I think there's a ton of power to be gained on the intake and exhaust tracks, just no one puts forth the effort/legwork to really test stuff out.