Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Performance Modifications (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f6/)
-   -   Opinions? FlashPaq vs Predator (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f6/opinions-flashpaq-vs-predator-4864.html)

kevin06vino 12-18-2009 01:54 PM

Opinions? FlashPaq vs Predator

Hi guys,

I've been looking at programmers for a while, and would like to get some feedback on what you guys like and dislike about them. I know that with the Diablo, there is the capability for CMR tunes down the road, but how do the canned tunes compare between Superchips and Diablo? I also have an 05, and had read that there were some compatibility issues with the Diablo and that year. I'll probably pick one up after the holidays are over. Can they both read/clear DTCs? Looking for some advice before spending a few hundred bucks.

Thanks in advance

LTrainGC 12-18-2009 02:05 PM

Re: Opinions? FlashPaq vs Predator

The superchips is known to work on the '05s (I had one). They are still working some bugs out of the predator for the '05s (I have one now). The only issue we are trying to work through now is being able to change tire size - there is still an issue there. However, I am running the 93 tune now and have my MDS disabled, and a couple other small tweaks.

Robert Palmer 12-18-2009 02:14 PM

I recommend the Diablosport Predator to any vehicle that has compatibility with it. It is such a great tool. Leaps and bounds over the Superchips IMO.

blackpepper 12-18-2009 02:33 PM

I can't compare the two but I love my Diablo Predator.

kevin06vino 12-18-2009 03:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LTrainGC (Post 118186)
The superchips is known to work on the '05s (I had one). They are still working some bugs out of the predator for the '05s (I have one now). The only issue we are trying to work through now is being able to change tire size - there is still an issue there. However, I am running the 93 tune now and have my MDS disabled, and a couple other small tweaks.

So you're still able to load a tune with the Diablo on an 05? I just didn't want to buy a tuner and find out I bricked it by using it on an 05. If it's just some of the extra features that aren't currently compatible, I think that's the way I'll end up going.

Thanks for the input guys!

LTrainGC 12-18-2009 04:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kevin06vino (Post 118244)
So you're still able to load a tune with the Diablo on an 05? I just didn't want to buy a tuner and find out I bricked it by using it on an 05. If it's just some of the extra features that aren't currently compatible, I think that's the way I'll end up going.

Thanks for the input guys!

Yes I had to get in touch with Mike L. over at Diablo - he sent me a CROM file to use. The 9R05 that is the most up to date CROM on the diablo website won't work on the 05' Hemi.

Right now I'm running the 93 tune, MDS disabled, idle bumped up 100 RPM, and fiddled with the throttle calibration, and bumped my rev limited to 6200. The only thing I'm waiting to do is calibrate my tire size.

blackpepper 12-18-2009 04:19 PM

Have you pegged the needle to 6200 since you've made the adjustment? The Hemi's hp peaks around 5500-5600 rpm according to the dyno run I did and the custom tune that I have actually reduces the shift points down to around 5600.. and also, what benefit do you get from raising the idle rpm up 100?

LTrainGC 12-18-2009 11:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BlackPepper (Post 118252)
Have you pegged the needle to 6200 since you've made the adjustment? The Hemi's hp peaks around 5500-5600 rpm according to the dyno run I did and the custom tune that I have actually reduces the shift points down to around 5600.. and also, what benefit do you get from raising the idle rpm up 100?

I have not, but thanks for that insight perhaps I'll drop it a bit. I honestly never really mash on it anyway to be honest lol. Most of my time is spent between 1500 and 3500 rpm.

I bumped the idle to smooth it out. It idled smooth at 550, but now at 650 I can't even feel it running.

Scottina06 12-19-2009 01:11 AM

its all relative to what you want from a programmer. The predator will give you the possibility of a CMR tune(custom tune) via dyno or by a tuner. The Superchips gives you several canned tunes....mileage, towing, offroad, 87 fuel, 91 fuel, change tires size, etc etc. Plus it has the ability to time the truck through certain 0-??? runs. Go to both websites for more info...

amw5 01-20-2010 09:08 AM

Those of you with the 5.7L and DS...can you raise the shift points and rev limiter? It states on the website that these options are not available for the Jeeps.

Please advise, for I would like to go with DS if you can change these perameters.

Thanks,

Aaron

blackpepper 01-20-2010 02:46 PM

Yes you can but the hemi's peak power is around 5600 rpm so there's no reason to raise the rev limiter past that because hp drops off after 5600 rpms.

FlyinRyan 01-20-2010 05:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BlackPepper (Post 135728)
Yes you can but the hemi's peak power is around 5600 rpm so there's no reason to raise the rev limiter past that because hp drops off after 5600 rpms.

Depending on how it tapers off, actually you could gain from a higher rpm shiftpoint for the purpose of shift recovery. Example- even though the 5.7 truck manifold tapers off after 5800 rpm, alot of the Ram guys shift at 6200+ rpm depending on their gearing and setup because of the improved shift recovery.