Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Detailing (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f8/)
-   -   What's the best buffer? (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f8/whats-the-best-buffer-4865.html)

Dylans3960ccs 12-18-2009 02:01 PM

What's the best buffer?

hay guys, I thinking about getting one of these for christmas and since I don't know squat about buffers, I figured that some of you would :)

so if you can post up what you think is the best all around buffer and a link.

Thank you :)
Dylan

robpp 12-18-2009 03:05 PM

Re: What's the best buffer?

for a beginner, get the Porter Cable 7424 XP. its a bit over 100.

thats what i have and i am quite satisfied.

DetailedImage.com 12-20-2009 04:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dylans3960ccs (Post 118184)
hay guys, I thinking about getting one of these for christmas and since I don't know squat about buffers, I figured that some of you would :)

so if you can post up what you think is the best all around buffer and a link.

Thank you :)
Dylan

Great question. In my opinion it depends on your budget and detailing goals. We created a buffer comparison chart to help you compare some of the most popular buffers. I really like the Porter Cable 7424XP Random Orbital Buffer and the [url=http://www.detailedimage.com/Flex-M26/XC-3401-VRG-P128/]Flex XC 3401 VRG[/url. The Flex is my favorite hands down but it costs quite a bit more. It uses a forced random orbit motion that is totally paint safe and helps remove a lot of the swirls. The Porter Cable 7424 XP is also great and far less expensive. If you want the absolute best cutting power try a rotary buffer like the Makita 9227C-X3 Rotary Buffer. This is the safest rotary buffer I have ever used and it works extremely well. Rotary buffers take more time to learn how to use properly but if you start with the 4" pads and a low speed it's actually pretty easy. Check out the buffer comparison chart above and let me know if you have any other questions.

We also have the Porter Cable 7424 XP on sale through December which is pretty rare because our normal discount coed (10offJG) does not apply to buffers. Also please check out our kits in our DI Packages where you can get all the pads and accessories needed for the buffers.

Greg @ DI

TimmyB 12-20-2009 05:53 PM

I have a Porter Cable buffer, im afraid to use it though because it seems I can ruin the paint really really easy since I dont know what im doing. Im afraid of all of a sudden seeing the paint all come off and the bare metal shows.

Robert Palmer 12-20-2009 05:55 PM

Do you have the 7424 Tim?

LTrainGC 12-20-2009 06:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TimmyB (Post 118962)
I have a Porter Cable buffer, im afraid to use it though because it seems I can ruin the paint really really easy since I dont know what im doing. Im afraid of all of a sudden seeing the paint all come off and the bare metal shows.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Elvis Presley (Post 118963)
Do you have the 7424 Tim?

Yeah if you've got the 7424 there is nothing to be worried about. It is random orbital - not rotary, so it won't burn the paint.

I have the 7424 and LOVE it. I got my dad one for Christmas.

TimmyB 12-20-2009 06:59 PM

I have the PTS5, small hand held one that was on sale cheap at the outlets, I think it was a demo model. I have yet to use it. I dont even know if its safe for buffing.

Scottina06 12-20-2009 07:26 PM

You can burn the paint with a 7424....but youd have to be an idiot and use the use the most aggressive compound and just hold it on the paint for like 5 minutes....LOL

LTrainGC 12-20-2009 09:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scottina06 (Post 118999)
You can burn the paint with a 7424....but youd have to be an idiot and use the use the most aggressive compound and just hold it on the paint for like 5 minutes....LOL

I bet there is some moron out there that has done just that lol

Scottina06 12-21-2009 12:14 AM

LOL>...yeah

DetailedImage.com 12-21-2009 10:15 AM

Generally speaking the 7424 or the 7424 XP can not burn the paint (with factory paint jobs). It just doesn't generate enough heat or pressure at max speed to burn the paint even with an aggressive polish and pad. Let me know if you have any other questions.

Greg @ DI

DJ BoNiOmArIo 12-21-2009 10:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LTrainGC (Post 119067)
I bet there is some moron out there that has done just that lol

man don't talk about me like that lol j/k never tried buffing :D