Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Audio/Visual/Navigation (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f155/)
-   -   UConnect not recognizing names for text messages (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f155/uconnect-not-recognizing-names-for-text-messages-48700.html)

brjp1 10-11-2012 10:44 AM

UConnect not recognizing names for text messages

Hello- Just picked up a new 2012 JGC base Laredo. Has UConnect and when I get a text message it always says "name not recognized" or something similar to that.

Phone calls work just fine.

Now when I first paired my phone to UConnect my phone kept asking..."request to download contacts". I selected the box for "do not ask again" thinking it would download each time without asking. So not sure if thats correct or not but has anyone ran into the text message issue?

xsdbs 10-12-2012 07:39 AM

Re: UConnect not recognizing names for text messages

If you selected "don't ask again" then that should be good. You'll know this has taken place because if you just selected "Accept, ok etc" on the phone, then the next time that you got into the vehicle to drive away, Your phone would ask you again for permission to downlooad your contacts. Each time there is a key cycle, Uconnect will DL your phonebook. This is incase that you have added or deleted contacts while away from the vehicle.
Now as for the "no name" when receiving a text mmessage, I have seen this with before and mostly with Verizon phones, I think I have also seen it on a couple Sprint phones.
Who is your network provider? What phone do you have? When you receive an incoming call, the contacts name is called out, (correct) but not with messages.
You see the phone sends that information to Uconnect to process and say the contacts name. If the phone doesn't send the information, then Uconnect assumes that it's an unknown number.

Quote:

Originally Posted by brjp1 (Post 695631)
Hello- Just picked up a new 2012 JGC base Laredo. Has UConnect and when I get a text message it always says "name not recognized" or something similar to that.

Phone calls work just fine.

Now when I first paired my phone to UConnect my phone kept asking..."request to download contacts". I selected the box for "do not ask again" thinking it would download each time without asking. So not sure if thats correct or not but has anyone ran into the text message issue?

*sox* 10-12-2012 11:07 AM

http://wk2jeeps.com/tsb/tsb_wk2_0801812.pdf

xsdbs 10-22-2012 01:47 PM

This TSB has nothing to do with this issue that he is having. I have seen this same issue on several CDMA phones and it is a phone related issue. The phone does not send the Incoming message ID to Uconnect, only that there is an incoming message.

Quote:

Originally Posted by *sox* (Post 696054)

brjp1 11-02-2012 08:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xsdbs (Post 700732)
This TSB has nothing to do with this issue that he is having. I have seen this same issue on several CDMA phones and it is a phone related issue. The phone does not send the Incoming message ID to Uconnect, only that there is an incoming message.

Any solutions to this issue? I'd really like to get this working with my Samsung Galaxy S3.

xsdbs 11-06-2012 01:06 PM

This is not a Uconnect related issue. If the phone doesn't send the information to Uconnect to give the notification, then Uconnect can't tell you who it's from. You may want to complain to Samsung or your carrier. I have seen this same issue with Apple, HTC, Samsung, LG etc. So this may be limitations to the network. I haven't seen this issue with GSM phones, only CDMA.

Quote:

Originally Posted by brjp1 (Post 705966)
Any solutions to this issue? I'd really like to get this working with my Samsung Galaxy S3.