Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Troubleshooting/Problems (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f203/)
-   -   Transmission slips when turning left?? (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f203/transmission-slips-when-turning-left-48745.html)

TACFIRE325 10-12-2012 08:49 AM

Transmission slips when turning left??

Okay... So riddle me this... I have an '02 JGC 6 cyl 4x4... Recently, my beast has developed, what feels like a transmission "slip", when I turn left only!! If starting from a start & turning left, the engine revs up to about 1000 - 1200 rpms, then it grabs & takes off. The strange part is that there is no slip when driving forward, backwards, or turning right. :confused: We never drive this in 4wd, but developed a grinding noise in the front differential. Found that the diff was good, but the noise was coming from the front drive shaft. Was told to remove the front drive shaft & drive it in 2wd mode. This happened about 3 weeks ago. Have had no issues until now. Not sure if it is related. Anybody have any ideas, other than replace the front drive shaft. currently rebuilding it.

Frango100 10-13-2012 06:39 AM

Re: Transmission slips when turning left??

Did you check the fluid level? If too low, it could draw air and start slipping.

06HemiWK 10-13-2012 07:29 AM

maybe a wheel speed sensor.

TACFIRE325 10-13-2012 09:38 PM

Frango - checked all fluids when it happened & all were good. But definitely a good thing to check & be sure of... Have to look at the wheel sensor issue...

TACFIRE325 10-21-2012 10:58 AM

Bump... Checked the wheel speed sensor. No codes or issues to be found. This only happens when turning left from a stop. It is not as bad if I turn the overdrive off. Is it possible the governor solenoid is slipping???

Frango100 10-21-2012 11:23 AM

I don't think that the wheel speed sensor does anything on the 42RE tranny.
Won't expect the governor solenoid in this case. It regulates the pressure, but why would it stop regulating when making a left turn only?Was the tranny serviced lately? Otherwise i would do so and inspect the filter to be installed correctly. When it is open, you could inspect the wiring of the governor solenoid and adjust the bands.
Is the color of the tranny fluid red and is it clean and no burnt smell?

2004wjmedic 10-21-2012 11:36 AM

My Jeep has done something similar but I could never figure out what was causing it. And of course when I took it to a mechanic it behaved.

TACFIRE325 10-21-2012 09:00 PM

Figured it out. Dirty pickup tube in the tranny. New filter, cleaned out the tube & new fluid. Running like a champ...

Frango100 10-22-2012 05:28 AM

So was it starving fluid when making a left turn? What kind of dirt was in there? Donīt know the 42RE from inside, is this pickup tube after the filter?