Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee SRT - WK2 (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f97/)
-   -   Oil Filter Selection (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f97/oil-filter-selection-48793.html)

Hoguie7 10-13-2012 09:54 AM

Oil Filter Selection

I'm about to have my oil change and I am wondering which oil filter to use with so many good stuff out there. I've always used fram and K&N lately and both are good. Can anyone give me advice on the best oil filters in the market? What are you currently using with yours?:confused:

01grand 10-13-2012 10:12 AM

Re: Oil Filter Selection

I wouldn't use fram, they are made pretty cheaply and have less filtering capacity. Mobil1 and K&N are both excellent filters, along with purolator pure one. Amsoil also makes a good filter along with a good high quality synthetic oil.

xJoshxx 10-13-2012 01:00 PM

NEVER USE FRAM!!!! EVEER EVER EVER.

Do you like cardboard and hot glue and string that holds the media together? If so use fram then.
http://www.jeepgarage.org/f5/oil-fil...cted-5778.html

HAMMMERHEAD 10-13-2012 01:22 PM

I just did some research on it and found a link where a guy had cut open serveral brands of filters. Surprisingly the Mobile one had less filter media than some of the mainstream filters even if it was a synthetic premium material. Amsoil was at the top, but didnt see a K&N cut open. Im sticking with the SRT filters as it was mentioned that the bypass spring is stronger and keeps the oil from bypassing the filter at high pump pressures giving constant filtering....dont know if this was BS or not. The fram had cardboard ends glued to the main filter media which was bottom of the barrel compared to the other filters. Either way, if I have engine trouble there is gonna be a SRT filter on my engine for the powers to be to not have an issue to bring up!

mjw930 10-15-2012 02:34 PM

There's an SRT specific oil filter for the 6.4L? Nothing in the manual about that and the dealer's been using the black Mopar filter in mine for the last 2 changes which is what their computer specifies. Is this something new, as in the last month?

HAMMMERHEAD 10-15-2012 06:47 PM

Probably not a hill of beans difference mjw, but there are SRT branded filters. A tightly ran service dept should have put an SRT on. I dont guess Chef Ramsay did your last service job......:) Pretty sad, but I dont even know what the lube shop put on mine since I had to have mine changed while on a long trip. I just ordered a couple off of Ebay and plan to start doing mine myself. That 0-40 Penzoil doesnt seem to be very common either

It would be interesting to see what the actual differences are. Here is a link

CHRYSLER JEEP DODGE SRT SRT8 PERFORMANCE OIL FILTER FILTERS MOPAR 5.7L 6.1L 6.4L | eBay

BTW...I found that oil filter comparison link. Its kind of lengthy, but a few pages in the guy cuts open more brands of filters. Its pretty cool to see the difference in guts on the various filters

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/show....php?t=1662838

mjw930 10-16-2012 06:56 AM

They used 4884899-AB and the owners manual does not specify a different filter for the 6.4L. Is it published anywhere or are we assuming its a different filter on the 6.4L because we read it on the Internet?

I did a lot of OEM parts searches and every site, which is linked to the OEM parts info from Chrysler shows the 4884899AB as the correct filter for the 6.4L. As I recall the filter removed when it was new was also the black 4884899AB.

Directly from mopar parts listings:
Quote:

Part Number: 4884899AB - maintenance & lubrication, engine service, filters, oil filter Grand Cherokee 5.7L, 6.4L

forza 10-16-2012 08:20 AM

[QUOTE=mjw930;697515]They used 4884899-AB and the owners manual does not specify a different filter for the 6.4L. Is it published anywhere or are we assuming its a different filter on the 6.4L because we read it on the Internet?

If you didn't notice that E-bay listing is a dealership. They sell SRT's. Their parts dept. is just trying to move more products. I've gotten a couple of things from them also.

mjw930 10-16-2012 04:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by forza (Post 697540)
Quote:

Originally Posted by mjw930 (Post 697515)
They used 4884899-AB and the owners manual does not specify a different filter for the 6.4L. Is it published anywhere or are we assuming its a different filter on the 6.4L because we read it on the Internet?

If you didn't notice that E-bay listing is a dealership. They sell SRT's. Their parts dept. is just trying to move more products. I've gotten a couple of things from them also.

I'll have to check with my dealer to see what they show for the jeep. I believe that was made for the Viper and just happens to fit the Hemi. I do not think that's the filter that came on the truck from the factory. I'm not saying it may not be better, just that its not required like the new 0w-40 SRT specific oil is.

Does anyone know what makes it different, aside from the white color and higher price?

Scottina06 10-16-2012 04:57 PM

LOL...thats it probably.

HAMMMERHEAD 10-16-2012 08:24 PM

Here is another SRT filter with a different number.....I think. The logos are different.....What the heck, Chinese knock offs :)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/DCH-Dodge-Vi...-/360338822242

mjw930 10-17-2012 08:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HAMMMERHEAD (Post 697875)
Here is another SRT filter with a different number.....I think. The logos are different.....What the heck, Chinese knock offs :)

DCH Dodge Viper SRT Oil Filter MOPAR also fits CHARGER Challenger 300 SRT8 NEW | eBay

It's actually the same part number but I wouldn't buy it regardless how cheap they might be, it just looks off. Maybe it's new old stock and the one the dealer is selling is more current. Regardless, it's false economy IMHO to buy anything like that from someone other than a dealer.

BTW, a good Wix or Bosch filter would be a very viable alternative and can be purchased at any local auto parts store for less than $10. I like the Bosch Premium 3410 or the D3410 Distance Plus. FYI, Bosch = Purolator.