Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Troubleshooting/Problems (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f203/)
-   -   Newbie changed P.S. hose. Questions. (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f203/newbie-changed-p-s-hose-questions-48824.html)

alphamag 10-14-2012 11:07 AM

Newbie changed P.S. hose. Questions.

Hi guys. New to forum but been lurking awhile. I changed my high pressure power steering hose on my 2004 WJ 4.7 thanks to your various threads on the subject. My sincere gratitude to you all. No leaks so far but a couple of questions. Due to the angle I had to use to thread the ps connection at the pump my upper radiator hose now is in contact with the metal tubing of the ps hose. Do I need to try to slip some tubing around the ps hose or something else? Also my ps pump seems to make more of a humming noise when turning the steering wheel than before --may be my imagination! Any thoughts on these two items will be greatly appreciated.

spyder873 10-14-2012 11:20 AM

Re: Newbie changed P.S. hose. Questions.

I would put something around the PS hose. You will still have some vibration caused by the engine. If it is rubbing on the Rad hose , after time this may cause a wear .

I would re check your PS fluid levels. You may be a bit low due to the swap
Oh and Welcome!

01grand 10-14-2012 12:08 PM

If the hoses are rubbing on each other I would try and separate them otherwise one could rub through the other and that would be bad either way. Also, I think my pump made more noise after putting on a new hose, but I think it was already on its way out at the time. These pumps don't seem to be a good enough design to power both the hydraulic fan and steering gear. My old pump started getting weak, especially in the cold. My new pump has plenty of power but whines some now. As long as your steering performance is ok and there is plenty of fluid I think you are ok.

alphamag 10-14-2012 12:45 PM

Thank you for your replies. I will try to loosen the fittings and see if I can move the p.s. hose. If not, I will try and place some hose tubing on the metal part of the p.s. hose. My pump is new and the " louder hum " may just be my imagination. Since I found this forum and attempting repairs myself, I now hear dings, dangs, clangs, bells, whistles, squeals, moans, groans, and hisses that I never heard or paid attention to before. Drives me crazy---but i love it, if that makes any sense. Again, thanks a million.

01grand 10-14-2012 02:31 PM

Ha, I know the feeling. The more comfortable I've gotten working on my vehicles the more problems I seem to notice!

Frango100 10-14-2012 02:37 PM

Did you completely bleed all air from the system after replacing the hose? A bit of air in the lines will cause a moaning noise from the pump. You have to make full steering angles for around 20 times to get all air out. Also there will be a lot of foaming in the reservoir in the beginning, so you have to stop the engine for some minutes to settle down a bit. To speed up the bleeding process, you could remove the coolant temp sensor connector ( in between the alternator and AC compressor), which will cause the hydraulic cooling fan to go in high speed mode, increasing the fluid flow and the speed of getting the air out. You will have to reset the check engine light afterwards).

alphamag 10-14-2012 04:06 PM

Yes I did the 20 slow turns, let it sit overnight, and did them again. Mind you, I am listening for the hum with the AC and radio off, and the hood and drivers door open and it only seems slightly louder so I believe it's all in my head. BTW Frango many thanks for all your past posts. They have gotten me through a lot of procedures.