Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Suspension Modifications (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f198/)
-   -   Load Leveling Shocks for WJ Overland? (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f198/load-leveling-shocks-for-wj-overland-48827.html)

cholden 10-14-2012 02:14 PM

Load Leveling Shocks for WJ Overland?

I found a load leveling shock for the 2002 JGC, but it excluded those with the Up country suspension. I have a 2002 Overland with the UC.

I plan to pull a camper trailer from time to time with a tongue weight of 475 lbs. Plus with wife and kids and stuff in the car, I don't want the headlights to be pointing to the sky.

Is the only way to go the air bag thing? I have never done that and am not that keen on the installation. A set of load levelers could probably be installed in 1 hour and no complications.

Thanks

Cameron
2002 JGC Overland

jeepmanjim 10-22-2012 03:35 PM

Re: Load Leveling Shocks for WJ Overland?

Those load leveling shocks from Monroe (recommend rock auto) are great!! I have them, pulled a dual axle car trailer with a Malibu on it with my 4.0 WJ. Worked great, would recommend.

jeepmanjim 10-22-2012 03:36 PM

Oh, they act as a fulcrum and pivot the back of the jeep up.

kgingerich 10-22-2012 06:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeepmanjim (Post 700805)
Those load leveling shocks from Monroe (recommend rock auto) are great!! I have them, pulled a dual axle car trailer with a Malibu on it with my 4.0 WJ. Worked great, would recommend.

Damn. Pulled a malibu w/4.0..... my 4.0 was humming with an 850 lb cast iron stove in the rear. She was fine; but IMO that (malibu) might be a bit much on it. Im running sensa-tra s and love them. I'm sure the bilsteins are superior; but budget is always an issue. Those teves left something to be desired w/ stove in hatch. If you grease and clean them (teves) they will last.

cholden 10-23-2012 07:19 AM

Thanks for the response. Quick follow up Q. Do you have the part number? I have seen write ups on installing the Monroe's (with part numbers) for the WK, but not the WJ. Also, some of the WK owners used sensa-trac shocks from a F150 for additional height. I don't want to do that if I don't need to.

Also, did you do the install yourselves? Looks so simple from underneath. Also, no problems with rubbing?

Thanks!

Cameron
2002 JGC Overland

jeepmanjim 10-24-2012 07:06 AM

Ya know, I just noticed that MONROE 58647 on rock auto says without up country suspension but man they are great. I think that suspension provides 1" of additional lift but I'm not sure. I just have an 04 SE

The Malibu and trailer were right at 5000 maybe a little over. I never said it didn't struggle!! It's flat out here in Ohio.

cholden 10-24-2012 12:51 PM

Thanks. Is that the one that you used - the 58647?

Cameron

jeepmanjim 10-24-2012 02:55 PM

Yeah but I don't have the up country suspension. I have a Special Edition with the 4.0 and 4x4, that's it. You are going to have to buy the airbag kit to do it right.

cholden 10-29-2012 07:12 AM

Thanks.

wjwithawj 11-01-2012 10:41 PM

I think ome has an stock height spring in an HD option. You can run your trailer and gear and not worry about it