Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Engine Performance/Intakes/Exhausts (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f108/)
-   -   Kickdown not working properly? (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f108/kickdown-not-working-properly-48858.html)

jfrey 10-15-2012 10:27 AM

Kickdown not working properly?

Hey Guys -

Just yesterday I noticed my Hemi isn't kicking down when you mash the accl. pedal to the ground. Rather than kicking the transmission into a much lower gear and revving itself into the high RPMs, mine just down shifted one gear and stayed at 4k rpm.

Anyone have/had this issue?

JeepCoop 10-15-2012 12:09 PM

Get a tuner and it'll fix it instantly and give you much better performance ad MPGs

77rednecktruck 10-15-2012 12:46 PM

Re: Kickdown not working properly?

Quote:

Originally Posted by JeepCoop (Post 697154)
Get a tuner and it'll fix it instantly and give you much better performance ad MPGs

you are aware that there is no tuner out, correct?

There is a TSB out for this. It was doing it in my hemi and once I got the TSB, it is still messed up. :) it is a little better but nothing like any other non chrysler product I have had over the years.

This programming is ruining the Jeep experience with me. It is crazy they are locking everything and not allowing tuning.

JeepCoop 10-15-2012 01:06 PM

Ah wk2 I see. Those bastards!! Get that shiz taken care of. Wake that beast up. Haha. Where in SoCal are ya?! I'm in SoCal as well

jfrey 10-15-2012 06:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 77rednecktruck (Post 697168)
you are aware that there is no tuner out, correct?

There is a TSB out for this. It was doing it in my hemi and once I got the TSB, it is still messed up. :) it is a little better but nothing like any other non chrysler product I have had over the years.

This programming is ruining the Jeep experience with me. It is crazy they are locking everything and not allowing tuning.

My whole deal was the light in front of me turned yellow, and with the speed I was driving decided to just drop the pedal down rather than have to slam on the brakes.

Well... I went through a complete red light! Why?? Because I dropped the accl. pedal down all the way to the floor thinking 'ok the car will go to second and rev to redline and shift'... That was not the case. What DID happen was this: the car shifted down one gear and just hung out at 4,000 RPM and slowly creeped to 4,500 rpm...

Im sorry but thats B.S.. In a much more urgent or emergency situation this should NOT happen.

-- Also, slightly off topic, but when you slow down to turn either left or right does anyone else feel like the transmission isnt downshifting into a lower gear. Here's an example; im driving 45 miles per hour and slow to make a right turn. I take the turn at 20mph and as I exit the turn slowly go back on the accl. pedal only to find the engine revving to some 2.5-3.5rpm and the car isn't going anywhere. I end up having to hit the pedal in half way down for it to finally grab a lower gear and go. Is this normal?

77rednecktruck 10-16-2012 05:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jfrey (Post 697326)
My whole deal was the light in front of me turned yellow, and with the speed I was driving decided to just drop the pedal down rather than have to slam on the brakes.

Well... I went through a complete red light! Why?? Because I dropped the accl. pedal down all the way to the floor thinking 'ok the car will go to second and rev to redline and shift'... That was not the case. What DID happen was this: the car shifted down one gear and just hung out at 4,000 RPM and slowly creeped to 4,500 rpm...

Im sorry but thats B.S.. In a much more urgent or emergency situation this should NOT happen.

-- Also, slightly off topic, but when you slow down to turn either left or right does anyone else feel like the transmission isnt downshifting into a lower gear. Here's an example; im driving 45 miles per hour and slow to make a right turn. I take the turn at 20mph and as I exit the turn slowly go back on the accl. pedal only to find the engine revving to some 2.5-3.5rpm and the car isn't going anywhere. I end up having to hit the pedal in half way down for it to finally grab a lower gear and go. Is this normal?

mine does the same thing. I don't think it's "Normal" but it may be normal for a Jeep.

rpoverland 10-16-2012 04:29 PM

I think is normal on the jeeps because they have such a horrible hearing and tune.

WK2 Rover 10-22-2012 09:14 AM

I use the kick down gear often, mostly 'cause it is fun! My wife used it on the highway last week and quickly hit 98 MPH.

JRoll1ns 10-31-2012 10:59 PM

Jfrey
Hey do you have a 6 or 8. I find the semi tends to need a little prodding in those exact situations in the form of a little autostick love. It seems in my experience if you hold the lever to the left instead of tapping it the jeep will shift to the lowest gear possible. Just remember to upshift afterwords. Or you'll look like a tard like me going through a red light bouncing off of the limiter.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2