Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Trouble Shooting/Problems/Service (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f107/)
-   -   Hey guys (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f107/hey-guys-48900.html)

hafalex 10-15-2012 08:50 PM

Hey guys

I have a 2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo. It is as basic as they come, not even trail rated. My jeep recently got broken into, the drivers side rear window was broken with a rock. Now on my key fob I have the panic button, but I was wondering if I have a car alarm? The reason I ask is because my car was locked but no alarm or anything went off.

berk483 10-15-2012 10:55 PM

Re: Hey guys

There isn't a glass breakage sensor in the alarm system.

hafalex 10-15-2012 11:12 PM

So then what kind of things would set off the alarm?

jd31 10-15-2012 11:25 PM

I believe all jeeps come with a basic car alarm, but it's just that, basic. No shock sensors, etc. I believe it only goes off if someone tampers with your door.

There is an option to upgrade to the more expensive alarm, which is factory installed but dormant until activated which you have to pay for. I'm not sure if they're all the same but my car came with the KAR system.

Ahujadaddy 10-16-2012 07:53 AM

Yea, no glass break sensor on most factory installed alarms for any car maker. If they opened the door from the inside after breaking the glass it should have went off though. That's pretty much it.

If the key fob is outside the car, and you push lock the alarm activates. Any door gets opened, truck included, or iginition gets tampered with as in trying to mess around to hotwire.... then the alarm goes off

Ahujadaddy 10-16-2012 07:55 AM

btw this^^ happened when my wife wanted to stay in the car while i ran out quickly and locked the doors and took the key with me. she went to open her door and she was stuck there with the alarm going off while i was inside unaware.

was funny for me, but she was not impressed. haha

Robey5 10-16-2012 09:03 AM

"There is an option to upgrade to the more expensive alarm, which is factory installed but dormant until activated which you have to pay for. I'm not sure if they're all the same but my car came with the KAR system."
:confused:

An upgrade to the alarm system from the factory?

Could you please expound on this (jd31) - because I do not understand how the alarm could be upgraded.

On a side window - (hafalex) the person who broke in to your WK2 must have been persistent, as all of the glass is "safety" glass (similar to that of the winshield). Just firing a rock and hitting the window would basically make a mess but not break completely. Someone would have to throw very hard, hit the middle (of the side window) poke a hole and rip out the chunks by hand to get in. All just to grab a thing in reach (like an Ipod, wallet, purse, etc) and not open the door from having broke the window. At the point that the door is opened from the outside, and the "alarm" (or, more specifically the subroutine within the controller module) does not sence the FOB in the area to request the unlock - the alarm will sound.

Sorry to hear that you were victim to a petty thief. Those are the worst type in my eyes. All of that damage plus having lost a small personal item likely is not even going to add up to the deductible (~$500 I presume), and just a real PITA.

hafalex 10-16-2012 03:52 PM

yea it sucked. It looks like the held the rock in their hand and punched out the window near the top, because the crome around the windows has a dink in it. The worst part about all of it was they didnt take anything. They smashed my window and left, but of douche bag thieves if you ask me

BobsWK2 10-16-2012 05:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Robey5 (Post 697554)

On a side window - (hafalex) the person who broke in to your WK2 must have been persistent, as all of the glass is "safety" glass (similar to that of the winshield). Just firing a rock and hitting the window would basically make a mess but not break completely. Someone would have to throw very hard, hit the middle (of the side window) poke a hole and rip out the chunks by hand to get in.

Only the front door windows are laminated like the front windshield. The other windows will shatter.

jd31 10-16-2012 10:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Robey5 (Post 697554)
"There is an option to upgrade to the more expensive alarm, which is factory installed but dormant until activated which you have to pay for. I'm not sure if they're all the same but my car came with the KAR system."
:confused:

An upgrade to the alarm system from the factory?

Could you please expound on this (jd31) - because I do not understand how the alarm could be upgraded.

The "basic" alarm, which all jeeps come with, will protect against door tampering I believe. It doesn't have shock sensors and it won't disable the starter. In the OP's case, this is exactly what happened. Someone threw a rock and the alarm didn't go off.

If you want the shock sensors and starter disable feature, you have to "upgrade". They offer this upgrade during the financing...it's one of the options they try to sell you. If you pay the fee, their electrician will basically wire the alarm and enable these features.

Robey5 10-17-2012 03:53 PM

Thanks jd31: I don't recall fielding this offer during financing. Maybe because I was a complete pain in the ace having ordered my JGC ("special") and financed less than the typical person.

jd31 10-18-2012 01:22 PM

Maybe they gave it to you pro bono (hopefully)...I personally think having to pay for the activated alarm is a bunch of BS. It's no additional cost and it states on the sticker that an alarm is included. Maybe they should be more clear about what that entails exactly.

Or...my cynical side is thinking, maybe the alarm is supposed to be activated by default but some dealers use it as a landgrab for more money.

Has others been propositioned by their dealer for the upgraded license?