Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Interior/Exterior/Visual (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f182/)
-   -   Any effective 921 Reverse LEDs? (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f182/any-effective-921-reverse-leds-48920.html)

mTBrunner83 10-16-2012 01:27 PM

Any effective 921 Reverse LEDs?

Looking for a set of 921 LED bulbs that will light up the way a bit when backing up at night. Any suggestions?
I looked at the V-leds and they strike me as emitters that come from asia but the price is marked up, but admittedly I do not know much about them myself. I am not looking for lights that make me visible, but rather provide me with visibility.

DAVY27 10-16-2012 01:50 PM

Re: Any effective 921 Reverse LEDs?

Quote:

Originally Posted by mTBrunner83 (Post 697675)
Looking for a set of 921 LED bulbs that will light up the way a bit when backing up at night. Any suggestions?
I looked at the V-leds and they strike me as emitters that come from asia but the price is marked up, but admittedly I do not know much about them myself. I am not looking lights that make me visible but provide me with visibility.

I'm no expert but from what i read and experience, LED bulbs provide less usable light than the halogens. They do "look" brighter but that's about it. Lots of people have the Cree(i think that's what it's called) bulbs and from reviews do provide more light.

But if you want to light up the whole street when backing up, go HIDs :D

mTBrunner83 10-16-2012 02:02 PM

Just want something with more light and not wanting to screw around with aftermarket ballasts and getting them mounted properly and the whole 30 seconds to gain full intensity is not really something I always want to deal with. Maybe I will just wait for plasma to become more available. I already have back up lights mounted on my roof rack anyhow.

paroxysym 10-17-2012 08:14 AM

currently running the putco 921 LED reverse.. they look good, look brighter but like davey said they dont provide as much light as a halogen. i just want something whiter and brighter- i wonder if a silverstar will be whiter than a halogen.

mTBrunner83 10-17-2012 08:42 AM

I have some 7w Cree 5's that are pretty good, but perhaps I am expecting too much from a reverse light

Madanio24 10-17-2012 12:49 PM

I ordered my reverse LED for like 8 bucks shipped off of ebay. 3 years later still happy with them.

Davy: Did you connect your ballast just to your reverse power? or did you need to throw a relay in there? If so did you have to run a separate wire to power the ballasts?

SvenskaJeepGuy 10-17-2012 01:15 PM

I have reverse leds, they "look" brighter but put out less usable light than my stock bulbs did

Strongjeff 10-20-2012 04:46 PM

im running the leds from putco, they are plug n play, easy as just replaceing the bulb. they put out decent amounts of light for an led

antsjeep 10-22-2012 12:25 PM

HID's would be the best improvement over the stock bulbs :cool: