Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Suspension/Driveline/Brakes/Wheels/Tires (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f109/)
-   -   What snow tires are you running this season? (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f109/what-snow-tires-are-you-running-this-season-48926.html)

amill 10-16-2012 04:34 PM

What snow tires are you running this season?

What snow tire is everyone using this season, or have you used in the last two seasons on the Jeep?

I'm picking up some laredo x wheels and it seems a bit rough to find a large selection of tires in the 265/60 18 size. My options seem to be the Nokian Hakkapelliita 7 SUV, Blizzak DM-V1 and one or two off brands. I had Blizzak LM-25V's on my previous awd car and they were decent, but I was never really overly impressed with them. They did ok, just seemed over hyped. Any suggestions?

amill 10-16-2012 05:21 PM

Re: What snow tires are you running this season?

I also found the Goodyear Ultragrip Ice WRT SUV tire which seems like a great tire and the pricing is pretty good too.

steveo 10-16-2012 05:21 PM

I run Hankook iPike's. We didn't have much for snow here last season but the little we did get... I was impressed.

DirtyDuc83 10-16-2012 05:25 PM

Picked up a lightly used set of Pirelli Scorpion Ice and Snow tires in 255/50/20 on my oem wheels. Great reviews on TireRack. I had the blizzak lm25s on my M3 and they were great for the first couple winter seasons and only put about 3k miles each winter on them. They didnt perform nearly as well as I was expecting last year after only 6k miles on them. They did perform excellently in the rain, cold and dry but not great in snow and ice.

ColdCase 10-16-2012 05:45 PM

Most here in ice and snow country use the Blizzak DM-V1. Tirerack, and other sites, users seem to give the Blizzaks a much better rating than the Pirelli, and better than any other snow tire in any size for that matter. The DM-V1 works better on ice, but they do wear fast on the highway and at higher temperatures. A quiet snow rated tire. The DM-V1s seem to be much better snow/ice tire than the LM-25s, which I never liked much.

I hear the firestone winterforce tires are a pretty good snow tire if you aren't into Blizzaks.

amill 10-16-2012 06:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ColdCase (Post 697806)
Most here in ice and snow country use the Blizzak DM-V1. Tirerack, and other sites, users seem to give the Blizzaks a much better rating than the Pirelli, and better than any other snow tire in any size for that matter. The DM-V1 works better on ice, but they do wear fast on the highway and at higher temperatures. A quiet snow rated tire. The DM-V1s seem to be much better snow/ice tire than the LM-25s, which I never liked much.

I hear the firestone winterforce tires are a pretty good snow tire if you aren't into Blizzaks.

I have no issues with the blizzaks but they are my only experience with a winter tire. I also don't like the fact that the special rubber compound they use is gone after 50% of the tread is gone.

Either way, I'll probably put 5k a year tops on them during the winter season. So I guess they'll last awhile.

DirtyDuc83 10-16-2012 06:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ColdCase (Post 697806)

After these Pirelli's run out the DM-V1s or iPikes will probably be next on the list. Supposed to be a very mild winter here in the PNW this year so I don't expect much actual snow and ice use with the exception of ski trips. $350 for the pirellis was too good of a deal to pass up at 80% tread left.

JohnS 10-16-2012 06:29 PM

I've been running Falken Eurowinter HS439 265/60R18's tires for the past two winters on my Overland, and have been very happy with them.2:thumbsup:

Raptor 10-16-2012 06:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by amill (Post 697766)
What snow tire is everyone using this season, or have you used in the last two seasons on the Jeep?

I'm picking up some laredo x wheels and it seems a bit rough to find a large selection of tires in the 265/60 18 size. My options seem to be the Nokian Hakkapelliita 7 SUV, Blizzak DM-V1 and one or two off brands. I had Blizzak LM-25V's on my previous awd car and they were decent, but I was never really overly impressed with them. They did ok, just seemed over hyped. Any suggestions?

I've run Nokian winter tires in the past and found them to be excellent winter snow/ice performers. Right now I'm running these all-season Nokians (P275/55R20) w/snowflake on the mountain winter rating. Nokian Rotiiva AT AT They are excellent!

Nokian does make the winter only Hakkapelliita SUV in an "R SUV" version that does not have metal studs like the "7 SUV" ones you mentioned.

Nokian Hakkapeliitta R SUV R SUV

You may also want to look into these as well.

Chi-One 10-16-2012 07:45 PM

I bought Goodyear Silent Armors on spare wheels from Tire Rack for this winter......waitin for the snow:thumbsup:

dsi jeep 10-17-2012 12:18 AM

I have run Nokian WR G2 - all weather with snowflake!
Only tire needed all year around and it is just a little more $ compared to BFG TA!!!!!

Red G8R 10-17-2012 08:02 AM

Blizzaks are my current choice but I'm sure any winter tire will do.