Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Trouble Shooting/Problems/Service (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f107/)
-   -   Can we get better Sound Quality by removing this piece? (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f107/can-we-get-better-sound-quality-by-removing-this-piece-48942.html)

James Cole 10-16-2012 10:00 PM

Can we get better Sound Quality by removing this piece?

Yesterday I removed the rear door card of my jeep and I noticed the speaker was covered in this tight mesh... do you guys think we can get better sound quality by removing this part? It look like the speaker will be able to perform better if I remove it...

http://i167.photobucket.com/albums/u..._p/photo-1.jpg

Thanks!
JC

ColdCase 10-17-2012 07:35 AM

Re: Can we get better Sound Quality by removing this piece?

No, the material is acoustically transparent.

nonopr01 10-17-2012 07:39 AM

Now that you have the door cover out. Call Crutfield and order some nice upgrades.

gc4x4 10-17-2012 08:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nonopr01 (Post 698040)
Now that you have the door cover out. Call Crutfield and order some nice upgrades.

:thumbsup:agreed, the base speakers suck big time, i went with Alpine speakers and a 4 channel amp, much better.

JTS97Z28 10-17-2012 08:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gc4x4 (Post 698053)
:thumbsup:agreed, the base speakers suck big time, i went with Alpine speakers and a 4 channel amp, much better.

When you say base speakers are you referring to the lowest sound system that you can get in a WK2? Or all oem speakers even the ones in the higher end models?
I must say that I am pretty impressed with the stereo in my 2012 Overland I wouldn't change a thing.

sofaspudKTM 10-17-2012 08:39 AM

The specs say the factory 9.1 IS ALPINE... sounds pretty good to me but realize the price of that option is not that much-if you want concert sound you will have to spend more $$.

andyh 10-17-2012 10:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JTS97Z28 (Post 698067)
I must say that I am pretty impressed with the stereo in my 2012 Overland I wouldn't change a thing.

Same for me. Kind of pointless to upgrade anyways with the crappy acoustics in a car (imo, of course).

gc4x4 10-17-2012 10:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JTS97Z28 (Post 698067)
When you say base speakers are you referring to the lowest sound system that you can get in a WK2? Or all oem speakers even the ones in the higher end models?

Yes, im talking about the base 6 speaker sound system which is what my jeep had, I replaced the speakers with Alpine and added an alpine 4 channel amp plus a 10' sub and Alpine mono amp with my oem mygig 730n and it sounds much better IMO. Im sure the factory Alpine system sounds good, but i couldn't justify spending more $$ on a vehicle just for an oem system.

kkreit01 10-17-2012 11:07 AM

Trust me, the Alpine system isn't that good. It's poor in comparison to my THXII system in my other ride.

bill_de 10-17-2012 11:18 AM

My MDX has an Alpine system with ten speakers. It is not at all impressive, and it is supposed to be their premium system.

subbie09 10-17-2012 11:37 AM

upgrading to focals, stealthbox and 5 channel alpine amp in mine with the stock Alpine system. Can't wait to hear the difference. More clarity and more base.

James Cole 10-17-2012 11:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by subbie09 (Post 698162)
upgrading to focals, stealthbox and 5 channel alpine amp in mine with the stock Alpine system. Can't wait to hear the difference. More clarity and more base.

How easy is to add an aftermarket amplifier to the stock alpine system without compromising sound quality... just getting sound out of the headunit as direct as possible...