Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Troubleshooting/Problems (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f203/)
-   -   Warning Lights & No Speedometer (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f203/warning-lights-and-no-speedometer-48946.html)

AMSOIL_Dealer 10-16-2012 11:08 PM

Warning Lights & No Speedometer

Hi all,

I have a 2002 WJ. The Air Bag, Brake, and ABS warning lights are on. No speedometer, odometer, turn signals, or reverse lights. The 4-ways/hazards lights function. My code reader indicates "no codes found" and the "key trick" shows "done" but three chimes and the engine light flashes 11 times. I haven't found any information on this. I checked both fuse blocks for obivious issues. Any help/suggestions welcomed. Is there a scanner/code reader more specific to the WJ? Thanks

Frango100 10-17-2012 04:24 AM

Re: Warning Lights & No Speedometer

Welcome to the garage.
Best is to use a DRBIII reader. You can test each specific system with that one.
Did this problem just suddenly happened? You could start with the instrument self test: with the ignition in OFF, push the odometer reset button and while pushing it, switch the ignition switch in ON. Now you can release the button and the test will start. All lights should come on and all indicators should go full scale and return to normal. The odometer should count 11111111, 22222222 etc.

AMSOIL_Dealer 10-19-2012 09:38 PM

Thanks for the reply. I will try that test. Do you have any reccomendations for that scanner/reader? Also pricing and purchase locations would be helpful. Prior to this condition I would have problems with starting. The key would be in the start position but nothing. If I release slightly it would engage the starter. I sprayed electrical contact cleaner in the ignition switch and it seems to be a little better. It has also been sitting for awhile as well. I need to get it road worthy ASAP.

Frango100 10-19-2012 09:57 PM

The DRBIII scanner/reader is quite an expensive thing and more for professional users. The dealer has one , but most probably some local shops should have it as well. I live in Brazil and a friend of mine, who has a repair shop, has this reader. Amazing how much information you can pull out of the jeep and how many tests can be done.
Seems that the ignition switch has some problems. Maybe that the electrical cleaner will continue improving the switch operation, so spray some more in it and let it soak for a while.

AMSOIL_Dealer 10-19-2012 10:08 PM

I tried the ignition on and odometer reset button and the air bag light turned off but no numbers in the odometer and the engine light flashed 11 times. I have not found any information on this. I don't mind spending the money for the scanner if I can use it on all my other vehicles. Once I started it the air bag light returned.

Frango100 10-20-2012 05:40 PM

Did you first press the odometer reset button and then switch the ignition in on? If so, most probably the instrument assy is faulty. I have no actual prices for the scanner and maybe an other member can chime in, but i think it will be around USD 1500-2000.

AMSOIL_Dealer 12-31-2012 06:30 PM

Frango100, thanks for the replies. I sprayed the ignition switch a few times and all the warning lights finally reset and I have to find the "sweet spot" to engage the starter. I haven't been here in awhile a lot of reading to look at. Have a Happy, Healthy, and Safe New Year.