Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee - WK (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f5/)
-   -   Just a quick question!! (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f5/just-a-quick-question-48948.html)

tonydurbs 10-16-2012 11:15 PM

Just a quick question!!

I wanna do a little lift like 2 inches what lift is a good budget lift and will just a little 2 inch lift make that much a difference in gas mileage

antsjeep 10-17-2012 08:00 AM

Re: Just a quick question!!

Rough Country. And yes your mileage will be effected.

JMLoughrey 10-17-2012 08:35 AM

I went rough country, the lift and bigger tires will effect your mileage, i went from about 18.5 avg to 16 avg. thats with moab rims and 255/75/17 bfg mtr tires.

Thats also probably slightly off and my speedo is off roughly 10% so that is probably messing with other stuff.

WK HEMInKY 10-17-2012 08:40 AM

If you call Rough Country directly and tell them you are on a couple Jeep forums they will give you a discount, I got my 2" lift for like $146 shipped n all

tonydurbs 10-17-2012 11:30 AM

Anyone got a picture of their lift I wanna see what it would look like

tfranzone 10-17-2012 11:45 AM

2" lift.. best to go with RoughCountry.
the bigger tires will decrease your gas mileage. And youll want bigger tires bc stockers with a 2" lift look a little funny.

you'll see a 2-3 mpg drop. i was getting 19mpg stock then with my daystar lift and 265/70/17 tires.. I went down to 15.5.. but I've had kayak racks on since the lift.. and just took those and my thule crossbars off, so I expect to get back up to 16.5-17. if you spend money on a tuner though.. you can basically get back up almost to your original mpg... and if you get a big mod bug, the addition of the tuner along with a CAI can get you more mpg than you may have had while stock!

go to the offroad modifications section and there is a lifted WKs thread.. tons of pictures in there of lifted jeeps from 2"to 4".

good luck :thumbsup:

mTBrunner83 10-17-2012 11:54 AM

Honestly your mileage will only be noticably impacted by larger tires which people typically include with a lift. I went with 265/65/17 tires instead of the 265/70/17.

http://i489.photobucket.com/albums/r...ber10th638.jpg

Bikemobile 10-17-2012 03:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tfranzone (Post 698168)
2" lift.. best to go with RoughCountry.
the bigger tires will decrease your gas mileage. And youll want bigger tires bc stockers with a 2" lift look a little funny.

you'll see a 2-3 mpg drop. i was getting 19mpg stock then with my daystar lift and 265/70/17 tires.. I went down to 15.5.. but I've had kayak racks on since the lift.. and just took those and my thule crossbars off, so I expect to get back up to 16.5-17. if you spend money on a tuner though.. you can basically get back up almost to your original mpg... and if you get a big mod bug, the addition of the tuner along with a CAI can get you more mpg than you may have had while stock!

go to the offroad modifications section and there is a lifted WKs thread.. tons of pictures in there of lifted jeeps from 2"to 4".

good luck :thumbsup:

What tuner do you suggest for the 2008 4.7?

Tire size recalc
Power/economy improvements
Transmission shift points.

tfranzone 10-17-2012 03:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bikemobile (Post 698239)
What tuner do you suggest for the 2008 4.7?

Tire size recalc
Power/economy improvements
Transmission shift points.

I dont personally have one, but I think a lot of people tend to use either Superchips Flaspaq or Diablo Predator... they seem to be the most common I see people mentioning and saying they get best results from.

Best to search the forum though. or check in the engine/perfomance thread to see what people with our year/engine are running.

njudkins21 10-19-2012 04:14 PM

I just looked at the rough country kit and the instructions to install it. Is it really that simple to install? Unbolt and bolt back together? Any tips or problems that anyone encountered during install? Thanks!

mTBrunner83 10-19-2012 06:31 PM

The clevis bolt may be your biggest problem. Sometimes you just have to cut the end off to get it to budge and other times it just comes right off. Still gonna take you about 4 hours minimum.

WK HEMInKY 10-21-2012 04:39 AM

I used my buddies car lift and it took us about 3 hours, as long as you follow the instructions and have basic knowledge of cars you'll be just fine.