Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Export Grand Cherokee 2011+ (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f190/)
-   -   Off road photos, Cape York and beyond! (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f190/off-road-photos-cape-york-and-beyond-48955.html)

Hickers 10-17-2012 04:55 AM

Off road photos, Cape York and beyond!

We are (now home!) over half way through our latest trip taking in the Jeep Jamboree in Rydal NSW, Bloomfield Track, The Telegraph Track, Cape York, Birdsville, Strezlecki, Innaminka, Cameron's Corner, Broken Hill and back to Melbourne. (stopped and turned back 2/3 of the way up the Strezlecki after damaging the suspension)

Our GC has met every challenge to date (36000ks since December) and not needed rescuing once, yet! The suspension lift, bash plates, rock rails, ecb bar and bf Goodrich tyres have all been winners. No complaints either over our national luna 60 litre fridge, 75 amp thumper extra battery or our Uniden radio and smoothtalker 3G aerial for our iPhone.

To date our jeep has been to the flinders ranges, Oonadatta Track, Ayers Rock, crossed the Nullabor and travelled Vic high country without an issue other than a key lockout! (now have to add the bent suspension strut)

Pictures by Hickers59 - Photobucket

Lessons, with no snorkel, tape up around the passenger side of the bonnet and headlight to keep out the water, check your rubber drain plugs on the battery compartment underneath before crossings as they get ripped out and clean the air and cabin filters! plus carry a satphone for breakdowns out of mobile range! purchased a second hand one from the states yesterday for $900 and 80 cents per minute call costs and $25 a month service fee. cheap insurance.

More photos to come.

bill_de 10-17-2012 07:20 AM

Re: Off road photos, Cape York and beyond!

Great slide show!

zzkazu 10-17-2012 04:21 PM

Great photos takes me back to 96 when we did the 6 month circuit of Australia.

You didn't happen to go to Dorunda Station North of Karumba in the Gulf, in 96 it was a crazy place.

Looks like you disabled your DRL's? Also what range you getting on average with long range fuel tank..

Good journeys for the rest of your trip.

Baxter 10-17-2012 05:26 PM

Thanks for sharing your adventure, keep the posts and pic coming

nigelh 10-17-2012 06:08 PM

Looks like a great trip.

Was that an iPad I saw? And if so, what software where you running?

How did your paint hold up?

My old WJ, after a trip like that, a simple light polish and you didn't know it had been off the bitumen.

True Blue, Saddle Trim
Hemi 5.7 V8
Tow Pack
=====================
Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Hickers 10-18-2012 12:27 AM

Hi
In answer
iPad for tracks and big picture useing memory maps software and aust top 250k map
Paint holding up very well and hope all the scratches will polish out!
Average fuel consumption 12 lp100k since we left home inc all off road work so around 1450 k range. We don't drive slowly and the roofrack and bag add to the fuel consumption, strong headwind can add 1.5 liters per 100k . Speedo reads a touch slow now so this might impact reported fuel economy.
Didn't make dorunda station and dlr were working when I checked this morning. Was running with headlights on most of the time as oncoming traffic a problem.

Rotated the tyres this morning and found some rub marks where 265 profile have ground down the felt lining either on the Tele track or hi speed work on the PDR. Also saw we had lost a few of the retainig clips on the wheelarch surrounds.

GSeb213 10-18-2012 01:52 AM

Awesome photos!! Good to see a WK2 GC making it through off-road tracks. Too many posts about transmission problems, bogging in sand, 4WD failure etc etc.

I'm hitting the WA coast early November in my 2012 GC CRD - Perth to Bunker Bay, and planning on some sand tracks, so I'm glad to see people out there getting trouble free runs in their GCs!!!

LeCheese 10-18-2012 02:43 AM

Great pics mate!
Noticed you had some mud flaps in front of your rock rails. From what i've seen they are removed when the rails added.
Did you put them on yourself?

GMWK2 10-18-2012 02:44 AM

Great photos.

I think you take the prize for the most travelled WK2.

Hickers 10-18-2012 03:16 AM

Yes we are doing our best to wear it out ASAP! Re the front mudflaps we broke the originals on the Oonadatta Track so I made these from 6 mm rubber from Clarkes Rubber. Cut a cardboard template first. Most difficult bit was fitting securing bolts without cutting and drilling. Of course we have broken a rear flap now as well!

LeCheese 10-18-2012 04:48 AM

ok thanks
of course you do, gotta love how things turn out like that
it's probably best to replace them with a more flexible one anyway so they dont break again

ultraelvis 10-19-2012 03:48 PM

I was looking at getting BF AT's when the Kumos die. What do they sound like on the black top?