Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Troubleshooting/Problems Discussion (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f77/)
-   -   Clunk noise help. (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f77/clunk-noise-help-4897.html)

iJeep 12-19-2009 08:02 PM

Clunk noise help.

Hey JGers..
Today when I took my Jeep for a ride, I noticed a loud and repetitive clunk, metal to metal like noise, along with stiff and shaky steering wheel. it felt like one of the axles or wheels were loose or off center.. Very weird... After driving for a while, it when away and everything was normal again, until when I was heading back home, the problem started again.. Very loud! Almost like I had to stop and call a tow truck to take to a mechanic. I know is not the suspension because I just had that check a week ago when I installed a set of SRT8 springs....

So what is it? :confused: Differential? Transmission? Any ideas? Thanks. :)

GC 05 3.7 4X4

Chaoul1 12-19-2009 08:04 PM

Re: Clunk noise help.

I know I'm not an expert but Check it one more time. Did it happen before you installed the SRT8 springs?

Robert Palmer 12-19-2009 08:04 PM

If the weather isnt real shitty tomorrow, lets go for a ride in the Jeep so I can hear it for myself.

Scottina06 12-20-2009 01:13 AM

hmmmm......did you take a gander under at some of the suspension componets? Take a look at the axles etc.

iJeep 12-20-2009 05:23 AM

IDK.. Here's what I found ..

"Test drive your Grand Cherokee, listening closely for any unusual noises, such as a clicking or clunking when you're cruising at a low speed, a clicking noise when you turn or clunks when you round a corner. Any of these noises could indicate trouble with the drivetrain."

It's sounds expensive.. :confused:

Hamze 12-20-2009 07:31 AM

Are you hearing the clunk noise when you are ( coasting ) at low speed ( ex: 10 to 15 Mph ) and as soon as you push the gas pedal it clunks ?

Mine clunks this way , ever since i bought the jeep, and i hear it from the back of the truck ...This issue is highly debatable and i think no 1 did solve it yet.

Some peple on the Red site have the same issue, Thats what they Concluded :

http://www.cherokeesrt8.com/forums/s...light=clunking

iJeep 12-20-2009 08:17 AM

^^ Nah, It's in the front. It's like, click, click, clunk, clunk, click.. On every cluck, I feel the stiffness on the steering wheel.. Loud, very loud... It has to be either axel, U-Joint, differential or somewhere else on the drivetrain... It might be a big deal.. The question is, should I take to the dealer or to a local mechanic?

DJ BoNiOmArIo 12-20-2009 12:23 PM

I had almost a similar experience with mine ... it would be clunking in the rear and the body would move side to side ...

I replaced my upper and lower control arms alongside with the track bar (stabilizer bar) in the rear and the noise disappeared ...

get underneath the jeep and hold the stabilizer bar with ur hand if you can move it or make it wiggle with only your hand movement then replace it ...

all 4 control arms and track bar cost $250.00 + shippin from morris 4x4 jeep use the code email 1209 to get 20 off ... anyways let me know what happens

TimmyB 12-20-2009 05:21 PM

From your discription I want to say its the bearings. Hard to tell without seeing and driving it though. Do the simple things first, like check the front diff fluid, jack it up and rotate the tire, see if theres any binding or movement. Check your cv joint boots for damage. Even check your brake pads to see if somethings caught up in there.

Scottina06 12-20-2009 05:25 PM

I would check the endlinks and sway bar bushings....the weather has turned cold in NYC

iJeep 12-20-2009 09:28 PM

So, what should I do guys. Should I take to a dealer or to a local mechanic?

Thanks for you help. :)

Scottina06 12-20-2009 11:24 PM

hmmm..... a local mechanic would be cheaper. Get an opinion before going to the dealer