Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Suspension Modifications (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f198/)
-   -   First post/First jeep! (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f198/first-post-first-jeep-48990.html)

1Bad04Cherokee 10-17-2012 07:29 PM

First post/First jeep!

Hey hows everyone doin!? First post here and I just picked up my first jeep (04 grand cherokee special edition 4.0) and i have some questions. This is my daily driver/work vehicle. Looking for the best reliability!

First thing i did was order up some ddmtuning HID's for the lows(6K)/fogs(3K)...yea Im the AHOLE out there blinding people...but ehh ive always ran HID's in all my vehicles. Just aim the housings down some...

Now for some of the questions...Im debating on going with the eibach pro-kit thats around 500$. Claims a better mpg? I dont care about that...im more for the stance and better cornering.I Didnt search around much but to those who have. Hows the ride? cornering had to increase quite a bit? Any added drivetrain wear(wobbles/clunks)? Issues with alignment?

Also intake systems for the 4.0...Im more of a money saver when it comes to this (overpriced K/N stuff). Is there any decent write ups for people who fabbed up their own? Or any decent kits that are cheaper (no name) but great quality??

TheStreet16 10-18-2012 11:33 AM

Re: First post/First jeep!

Welcome!

If you want upgrade handling, look at getting Addco sway bars. That will make the biggest improvements. There should be some threads around here. You can just run a search and threads will pop up.

A fellow WJ'r just built a intake for his 4.0 using what I believe, PVC pipe and a filter from a local store. Gave him a little bit more acceleration off the line.

*BabyGirlJJ* 10-18-2012 12:40 PM

HOLA!!! Welcome to Jeep Garage! :thumbsup:

spyder873 10-18-2012 01:49 PM

Welcome!

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

1Bad04Cherokee 10-19-2012 06:32 AM

ha thanks everyone! Ive been over in q-tip land aka buick forum. Im a 3800 gm FREAK! My other vehicle is an 03 park avenue ultra. Installed a pretty hefty cam, valve springs, ported the supercharger out, bigger injectors, water to air intercooler, headers, Cadillac northstar throttle body...long story short Im new to jeeps! Heard only good things about the 4.0

I will look into the addco bars for sure! im sure i will be fabbing up some sort of cold air intake system then...dayum this truck is slow lol!

Antonio186 10-19-2012 06:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1Bad04Cherokee (Post 699043)
dayum this truck is slow lol!

LMAO you should have gotten the 4.7 they are not slow by any stretch of the imagination.

but the 4.0 is reliable as they come.

1Bad04Cherokee 10-19-2012 08:43 PM

yea i was thinking about getting the 4.7...couldn't find a decent one with any records of maintenance. i got a pretty good deal on the 04 plus its in stellar shape! 114K miles isnt bad on the 4.0.

Going to start looking into what maintenance needs to be done before winter...like dif fluid change, oil pan is leaking, and maybe some new plugs

Would really like to get the eibach pro kit in too...ohh and a hitch to haul out the winter sliders

Trav1s 10-20-2012 08:25 AM

I would suggest Bilstein socks. By far my best addition to the WJ since I purchased it. I have pondered the Eibach kit but think I will go Addco bars before I go for a drop.

TJXJWJ 10-22-2012 07:24 AM

I did the addco sways front and back, and went with Bilstien shocks. The difference is unbelievable. Corners MUCH better. I liked the factory stance so I had no desire to lower it at all. I believe the Eibach kit drops it a little. Mine appears lowered...all I did was remove the roof rack. Plus, I run this thing year-round, and we get some serious snow here in the winter, so the last thing I wanted to do was lower it at all. That being said...I can't say enough about the addco's and the Bilstiens on this Jeep....

1Bad04Cherokee 10-28-2012 07:20 PM

Yea i may just do that. Addco's and bilstiens. I bet getting something wider that a 225/75/16 tire would help too haha

Trav1s 10-28-2012 09:10 PM

Find a tire with a wider tread and same rolling diameter and you don't have to worry about speedometer issues. I upgraded to 255/65R17 from the factory 235/65R17. That upgrade made my WJ more stable and sure-footed on our local gravel roads. Speedometer is about MPH slow.

1Bad04Cherokee 10-30-2012 12:32 PM

st adjusted my speedo properly with my flashpaq. Also isntalled the 91 octane tune which helped alot. Its starving for air now (stock airbox).

I would like to find some 17's and have em powdercoated black or something