Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Troubleshooting/Problems (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f181/)
-   -   Driveshaft/U joints replacement cost (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f181/driveshaft-u-joints-replacement-cost-49059.html)

Kayak83 10-19-2012 01:49 PM

Driveshaft/U joints replacement cost

Anybody have either of their u joints go out? I was told the wk requires an entire new drive shaft assembly to fix the issue. I got a quote from a local transmission shop for $1,100!!!

brentwoodkris 10-19-2012 02:31 PM

Re: Driveshaft/U joints replacement cost

Sounds about right. It's all one sealed unit these days.

tfranzone 10-19-2012 04:06 PM

Ouch! sorry to hear that...

might I ask why they went out?

I currently have knocking issues underneath my WK for the past few months since I lifted with a BB and I suspect its front diff. bushing but at the same time, I dont want it to be anything else like your issue...or ignore it for too long a puke a u joint... know what the cause was?

and good luck with the repair.

Kayak83 10-19-2012 04:10 PM

That's the same issue I'm having. Although mine is coming from the rear. I'm pretty sure I've got the problem narrowed down to the drive shaft but now you've got me wondering.

tfranzone 10-19-2012 04:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kayak83 (Post 699339)
That's the same issue I'm having. Although mine is coming from the rear. I'm pretty sure I've got the problem narrowed down to the drive shaft but now you've got me wondering.

well, how many miles on yours?
theres 46K on mine and the knocking only started since after the lift.. which was in late June..
I suspect front diff. bushings.. bc when stopped, throwing it from reverse to drive and back to reverse a few times.. you hear a large clunk and can actually feel the from diff shifting...

now, I also get a knock going over small bumps and on turns at times, so not positive if that is also attritbuted from the front diff bushing... but if it is, then great! ... I know the bushing alone is like 100 i think then labor.. so maybe a few hundred tops.. but check all your symtoms out, bc if its that.. its def. better than 1,000 for driveshaft. now, i just hope mine isnt a drive shaft issue now! :confused: lol

Kayak83 10-19-2012 04:52 PM

56k miles. BB also.

I dont get a loud bang when going from drive to reverse but it makes some expected noise and you can feel the jeep move a bit. I'm more concerned with the knocking on acceleration. I can hear it from 25-30ish. From there on its too quiet with road noise. Also, I never hear anything in the front. Always the rear. Sounds like we might be having different issues maybe. Either way...clucking/knocking can't be anything normal/cheap to fix.

jjt250 10-19-2012 05:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tfranzone (Post 699376)
well, how many miles on yours?
theres 46K on mine and the knocking only started since after the lift.. which was in late June..
I suspect front diff. bushings.. bc when stopped, throwing it from reverse to drive and back to reverse a few times.. you hear a large clunk and can actually feel the from diff shifting...

now, I also get a knock going over small bumps and on turns at times, so not positive if that is also attritbuted from the front diff bushing... but if it is, then great! ... I know the bushing alone is like 100 i think then labor.. so maybe a few hundred tops.. but check all your symtoms out, bc if its that.. its def. better than 1,000 for driveshaft. now, i just hope mine isnt a drive shaft issue now! :confused: lol

I think I have the same clunking going between reverse and drive on my CRD. It's not loud or anything but it's kinda annoying. Also I think you're right, diff bushings. How much does that cost to replace?

SvenskaJeepGuy 10-19-2012 06:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tfranzone (Post 699376)
now, I also get a knock going over small bumps and on turns at times, so not positive if that is also attritbuted from the front diff bushing...

that sounds like it is your sway link bushings.....

Kayak83 10-25-2012 12:05 PM

Well now the shop is telling me it could be a few things. T-Case, rear diff gears chewed up or drive shaft. I could hear it on the highway yesterday making a whooping noise that get faster the more speed I get. Immediately gone when I'm off the accelerator.

I'm worried I'm going to start throwing parts/money at this thing. A rear diff rebuild will end up around $2k. Driveshaft is about $1,100. I don't want all of the to cumulatively add up with no resolution to the problem.

Maybe it's a bearing/bushing? I'm thinking the worse but hoping for the best. Any idea would be hugely appreciated before it goes into the shop Monday.

tfranzone 10-25-2012 01:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SvenskaJeepGuy (Post 699436)
that sounds like it is your sway link bushings.....

how big of a deal is that?... I have a feeling you may be right on that as opposed to differential bushing. i couldnt see the knocking on turns over bumps at slower speeds being attritubuted as much to the front diff as they would sway bar/links..... is the repair cost high for something like that?

Kayak83 10-30-2012 04:33 PM

Update:

Rear diff case was warped from the factory. Needs complete rebuild. $3,300.

Rear U Joints bad. Have to replace the entire drive shaft. $1,000

Rear wheel bearings bad. $700

Jeep service threw parts at the diff. around 25k that never really fixed it. A warped case from the factory would be why it's wearing itself out every 25k miles. I'm gonna try to talk to someone at my dealership about this, but I have pretty low expectations about that...

Gojeep 10-31-2012 02:53 AM

I wish you the best of luck with the dealer mate.

If you get a chance, would you be able to measure your rear driveshaft fully compressed for me? Want to compare it to the length of mine.

Cheers