Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Engine Performance/Intakes/Exhausts (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f108/)
-   -   I HATE having to write this thread... (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f108/i-hate-having-to-write-this-thread-49072.html)

Darth Vapor SRT 10-19-2012 06:31 PM

I HATE having to write this thread...

Because so many people complain about their engine choice. Don't take it that way...I'm not

1200 miles on my 13 wk2 v6. Love the fuel economy since 95% of my commute is stop and go downtown Chicago traffic. BUT, I'm missing a little pep in the trucks step. I don't know if it's because the engine is so new and not fully broken in but it really feels sluggish. Granted, I traded in a Challenger for this due to a baby being on the way, so I'm used to a fast car. What is the cheapest way I can add HP to this bad boy to improve some low gear acceleration? I notice above 50mph, the truck feels quick and responsive. But off the line and in 1st and 2nd gear, if I stomp on it...it feels like its a turtle. I don't want to hear any "Shoulda got the Hemi dude". :slapfight::slapfight:

ColdCase 10-19-2012 06:56 PM

Re: I HATE having to write this thread...

The ECU has a computer no tuner has cracked.

There seems to be two choices, send the ECU off to a tuner shop, but I dunno how many V6s the've done. The TCM should be programable, however.

The second, and perhaps cheapest way, may be trading the V6 in onto the V8.... or grin and bear it for awhile until the CDR gets here.

You could try smaller diameter tires, that effectively gives you a different gear ratio.

Doc_d 10-19-2012 10:29 PM

I know you don't want to hear it but there is no magic. Even if the ECU / PCM had been cracked you'd be looking at forced induction which is expensive and finicky. It would be cheaper and easier to just trade up to a hemi.

My hemi is a lot of fun to drive.

BuckeyeSRT 10-20-2012 09:51 AM

Another reason why Dodge should not have abandoned the Magnum.

JTS97Z28 10-20-2012 09:56 AM

Its a tough call man. If you trade up to the Hemi you are going to be getting VERY poor fuel economy if you live in the city, then on top of the winter is gonna be here very soon and fuel economy goes down the tubes even worse. So I have a feeling if you get the Hemi and notice your getting 11 to 12 mpg in Chicago your gonna be wishing you had the V6 again.
As others have said the Hemi is without a doubt a more enjoyable driving experience, but it comes at a cost. You need to determine whats best for you.
As for what you mentioned about adding mods, well unfortunately adding mods is not really gonna change a whole lot, and certainly wont change the way the Jeep is tuned in 1st and 2nd gear. Thats just the way they designed it. Yes it takes away from any fun, but the V6 is obviously designed with economy in mind.

James

armoredsaint 10-20-2012 01:12 PM

i like my Hemi a lot, but i hate the tranny with a passion - so horrible.

Ahujadaddy 10-21-2012 08:50 AM

ported TB maybe? And inflate your tires to 39? lol

spyder873 10-21-2012 08:55 AM

I love my Hemi!!! went from a 4.0 I 6 to it and love every minute . Of course I really dont drive anywhere , around town and soccer practice , Thats about it . We also own a 4.7 in a XK and I am very pleased with it as well.

xk4wd 10-21-2012 09:53 AM

Interesting post. Since you are making tradeoffs, sport car to suv for better m.p.g. and family room, I can appreciate that you miss the sport car response.

77rednecktruck 10-22-2012 03:43 PM

I buy vehicles for the 10%, not the 90%. :) I only tow a little bit but sometimes need to tow a lot. I wouldn't mind the power of the v6 but sometimes really enjoy the power of the Hemi. I bought the hemi and deal with the gas mileage.

You need to wait for a tuner and/or forced induction to get more power, but that more power is going to drop the MPG. I think you need another car. :)

MxRacer965 10-24-2012 09:52 PM

Unfortunately the old saying "there's no replacement for displacement" still holds true. It makes perfect sense that you aren't happy about initial acceleration from a dead stop. Thats when the extra torque of the Hemi really comes into play. Once in motion you have a gear or two that you can downshift into in order to get the V6 into the higher RPM range where it is making more HP and torque. The gearing and transmission programming in general don't help matters either.

In the end I think you'd probably be better off by either accepting the lethargic nature of your current GC when accelerating from a dead stop, or trade up to a Hemi powered GC. Is it theoretically possible you could be happy with the V6 if money were no object and you could do forced induction, cam, ported heads, intake exhaust, headers, etc? Probably. But you'll spend a fortune getting there and your gas mileage will likely suffer in the process. It would be cheaper and easier just to get the Hemi.

FYI, I live in the NW 'Burbs of Chicago. I hit quite a bit of traffic commuting to work and get between 12-14MPG in my Hemi powered Summit. Highway is low 20's.

trent88 10-25-2012 12:30 AM

im in the same boat, and totally agree with you. the V6 does great on MPG, but it sure does suck when you hear someone start up their HEMI, or take off from a light. the V6 sounds like a Toyota prius in comparison. but i saved like $1500 by purchasing the V6 over the HEMI and save at the pump so thats how i made my choice. its all about what matters most to you. i can live without the performance for now, but i have been eying up some C6's to take care of that problem!