Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Trouble Shooting/Problems/Service (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f107/)
-   -   Glovebox Cable Tensioner Fell Into Blower Housing - Need Help Retrieving (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f107/glovebox-cable-tensioner-fell-into-blower-housing-need-help-retrieving-49106.html)

abq.jeep 10-20-2012 04:21 PM

Glovebox Cable Tensioner Fell Into Blower Housing - Need Help Retrieving

The cable on the right hand side of the glove box that allows it to open smoothly and not just drop down came loose but the worst part is that the cable tensioning device also fell down into what I assume is the blower housing and I have no idea how to get to the lower portion to try and retrieve the cable/housing. Has anyone had this happen or has anyone taken off the housing below the glove box? I would really appreciate some direction on getting into the housing so I can get the part back. Thank you.

abq.jeep 10-21-2012 10:48 AM

Re: Glovebox Cable Tensioner Fell Into Blower Housing - Need Help Retrieving

So I did a little more investigating. I took off the glove box door so that I could get to the area where the cabin filter is at and I can see that the ducting for the HVAC is separate from the part where the glove box door hangs. I did note there are four screws at the bottom of this part and I removed them thinking that this cover may swing out but then I ran into issue with needing to remove the right hand side dash cover, that was not difficult as it pops out and can easily be popped back in, also found I would need to remove the right hand kick panel and that also was not difficult. Next I tried to pull on the bottom of the housing that holds the glove box door but after hearing some creaks and it not pulling easily I figured I better leave well enough alone and stop. I did try to see if I could see the errant glove box cable retractor but I could not see inside with the cover still in place. Went ahead and replaced everything back as it was. Guess I'll be headed to the dealer for help as I don't want to breaking anything but I just hate going down there.

andyh 10-21-2012 11:24 AM

Mine fell way down in there also when I was changing the filter. PIA getting it out. I didn't take anything else off. I was able to squeeze my hand/arm down in there and fetch it.

andyh 10-21-2012 11:33 AM

My memory is a little foggy but from what I remember the tensioner didn't end up where I thought it would be. When feeling around there was this deep valley on the a right side and that's were it ended up.

abq.jeep 10-22-2012 07:52 PM

Okay, I'll give it a try. I was a little afraid to try squeezing my arm in there but what the heck, maybe it will save me a trip to the dealer and having to leave my Jeep there all day. Thank you for the help.:)

ernestd 10-22-2012 08:35 PM

Are we talking about the cable?

andyh 10-23-2012 07:38 AM

Yep, the cable that keeps the glove box from slamming open

abq.jeep 10-23-2012 08:20 PM

Okay, I tried it and I could feel the deep hole on the right side you mentioned but unfortunately I couldn't get my hand down far enough and landed up with a pretty good cut on the top of my hand so I guess I'll cry uncle and let the dealer take care of. I appreciate all the help. It's kind of a bad design the way it mounts as it makes it easy for the retractor to fall where you can't get to it very easily. I would be nice if it was held in place by at least one screw and not just mounted in the two slots where it can easily come out. Oh well overall I'm still very happy with our GC.