Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Grand Cherokee - WK2 - (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/)
-   -   Smoky Mountain Vacation (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f73/smoky-mountain-vacation-49107.html)

padgett 10-20-2012 04:52 PM

Smoky Mountain Vacation

Just back from a week+ in NC. 574 miles from O-town & about 600 miles of putzing (Cherokee, Highlands, Ashboro, etc, lots think "Tail of the Dragon"). About 5 miles of vertical road from highway to house. Rapid return (to make Gator's kickoff). No failures, nothing fell off, used no oil, 1730 mies @ 23.3 mpg ave. on 87 PON + 10% eth. Needs a bath.

James Cole 10-20-2012 06:18 PM

Re: Smoky Mountain Vacation

"nothing fell off" LOL...

There certainly is a lot of "noise" from the defective jeep party... but you guys need to remember that its only a small percentage of the people that have one... the one that have fault free jeeps donīt say a word... so you only hear the bad things.

padgett 10-20-2012 07:22 PM

So far mine is fault free and say many words. The problem is that it is so quiet and smooth that left lane speeds on I-75 are unnoticable (before picking the WK2 I drove every other Jeep, Mazda, Buick, and GMC. In fact I bought the demo & had 15 miles on the odo when picked up. Knew from the first mile which was the best road car.
Think that is the point, it appeals to so many. For me it replaced a minivan as a tow/road car and like the minivan it is usually in 2 seat plus lotsa luggage space configuration.
Leave us just say the average speed of the return with a full load of luggage and a/c on was more than the max in the EPA highway test.
One interesting data point: as long as the air temp was under 70F the coolant temp stayed under 200F and IAT was under 90F. That is where it should be all of the time. Do suspect that high temperatures are one factor in Pentastar head failures and wonder if the incidence will drop now that fall is here.

bill_de 10-20-2012 07:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by James Cole (Post 699830)
"nothing fell off" LOL...

There certainly is a lot of "noise" from the defective jeep party... but you guys need to remember that its only a small percentage of the people that have one... the one that have fault free jeeps donīt say a word... so you only hear the bad things.

I have purchased over a dozen new cars during the past 40 years. Only 1 never went back for warranty service. It was an 07 Liberty. The only service in 3 1/2 years were five oil changes.

JoeyD 10-20-2012 07:54 PM

Lol....I live in NJ...but back in August I went on a family vacation to the Blue Ridge mountains (near Boone, NC)...and that trip is what finally did my '02 Pontiac Montanna in after 175,000 miles of trouble-free service as far as the powertrain goes. After that trip, my transmission started whining so I just replaced it with a used one.

So now I'm starting to shop for a replacement, and the Durango is near the top of the list (as will be the Grand Wagoneer if I can wait that long). Hence...I'm lurking on these forums. ;)

andyh 10-20-2012 09:12 PM

Fun roads out there

padgett 10-20-2012 09:33 PM

My previous tow/road car was a '92 TranSport with 3800 & 7 seats (used all seven twice in a decade, mostly 5 sat in big baggies) hit 160,000 this spring. Jeep is replacement & better in every way.