Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Interior/Exterior/Visual (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f176/)
-   -   Plasti Dipped Grille (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f176/plasti-dipped-grille-49137.html)

scooterha 10-21-2012 10:13 AM

Plasti Dipped Grille

2 Attachment(s)
Is it suppose to have a textured look and feel to it? Or did I do it wrong? Pardon the filthiness, we've had some dirty rainfall here in Charleston WV.

HeyHey 10-21-2012 10:25 AM

Re: Plasti Dipped Grille

I painted my wheels and it did have a texture. Did you take the grill off?

scooterha 10-21-2012 10:30 AM

I just took the chrome shell off not the whole grille. In other pics on here it looked smooth. I like the way it looks. Definitely getting the plasti'dip glossifier and doing one coat on the grille. I need to find some kind of insert for the grille, those god awful 3 strip thingy's in each opening of the grille have to go!

HeyHey 10-21-2012 10:40 AM

Could you explain how you took off the chrome part of the grill? I've been wanting to do it but don't want to break anything. I understand you have to apply pressure to remove it??

scooterha 10-21-2012 10:57 AM

Its a pain!! If my Jeep was here I'd take pics. Open the hood look to the right side of the black plastic that the chrome insert is attached to, you'll see the right side has some vent looking slots in it and the left is completely solid. When you look down in those slots you can see the clips that hold the shell on. I used a flat head screw driver with a rag over top of it and slipped the flat head into the black groove that holds the shell clip and rotated the screwdriver until I had enough clearance to pull out the clip. Once you get a couple of these loose the rest seem to come out fairly easy still being careful.

scooterha 10-21-2012 08:08 PM

Ok not sure i'm going to like the plastdipped grille. the right side bubbled up after being on the jeep a day. will this continue to bubble or will it eventually form to the grille?

HeyHey 10-21-2012 10:41 PM

Thanks man. I might try it this week. I painted my wheels and it didn't bubble. Maybe the wheel was dirty where it bubbled up (plasti dip didn't stick to the wheel, but rather the dirt)?

scooterha 10-22-2012 07:13 AM

The grille is where it bubbled , I haven't done my wheels I'm doing this as a trial anyway see if i like it, nah it wasn't dirty i cleaned it real good with an alcohol swab about hour before spraying it.

scooterha 10-22-2012 09:21 AM

2 Attachment(s)
here are a couple of pics

Jeep_addicted 10-22-2012 09:35 AM

Looking at the texture it seems that your method of application may have caused that.

it really looks rough. I have plasti-dipped dash parts on a friends cars and it it came out way smoother.

After you dust on the first two coats then you go steady. Maybe you were too close or your kept starting and stopping or something. Plasti-dip has a subtle texture but not that.

Now I think about it you may have went to heavy on the coats. I would say with the peeling go ahead and peel it off and start again.

If you use the glossifier it will only make it shiny and still have that rough texture

scooterha 10-22-2012 07:23 PM

i did do a lot of stopping i would spray on two coats then wait 30 minutes and spray another couple of coats evenly though... lol i'm trying to see if i like this or not i do like it but i think it needs a chrome insert but i dont know. If i keep it chrome i want to add a black diamond insert from ablaze but if i keep the grille black i want a chrome insert. thats why i came on here to see if anyone has experience peeling. i havent added the glossifier yet its being shipped none of the freaking local store in chas wv have it wtf?

SvenskaJeepGuy 10-22-2012 07:31 PM

looks like you put the coats on too thick. you have to do a few really light coats first to build up a base