Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum

Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum (http://www.jeepgarage.org/forums.php)
-   Troubleshooting/Problems (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f181/)
-   -   Jeep won't start...it's in park but the system thinks its not?? (http://www.jeepgarage.org/f181/jeep-wont-start-its-in-park-but-the-system-thinks-its-not-49164.html)

08Hemi 10-21-2012 03:27 PM

Jeep won't start...it's in park but the system thinks its not??

So went down to get a burrito, everything fine. Came back out to start it, nothing. The jeeps shifter is in park but will roll forward and back so it must not be in park. Everything works as far as electrical and I'm not throwing codes. How can I disengage the shifter to get it out and back into park? I saw a not on here to put it in the start position and wiggle the shifter to try and disengage it. Any thoughts???? PLEASE help :eek:

UPDATE:

SOOOO the dealer just called...said "Intermitent Electrical Issues" with "past codes stored" and the FCM front control module needs to be replaced...

I have had "Intermitent Electrical Issues" sinced I bought the vehicle (shut off doing 80mph on the freeway), died within the first month of ownership etc...so why do they want to replace this now when I took it in over 3X for similar issues? PLEASE HELP...any insight is greatly appreciated...I will post the past codes once they send them to me. FYI - they want over $800 to replace the FCM

08Hemi 10-21-2012 05:58 PM

Re: Jeep won't start...it's in park but the system thinks its not??

I'd also like to note I cannot get it out of park, in the on setting with my foot on or off the brake...if that helps

SvenskaJeepGuy 10-21-2012 06:13 PM

Only thing i could think of off the top of my head is that your shifter is messed up. Might have failed or possibly dirty contacts.

bill_de 10-21-2012 06:19 PM

I'm not sure about Jeep, but some vehicles have an override if the shifter gets stuck in park. My current vehicle has a small rectangular cap in the console, near the shifter. You have to pry the cap out, insert the key, shift out of park, and then remove the key. If you don't see anything like that, check you owners manual.

Not sure, but it's worth a look.

Milous 10-21-2012 07:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 08Hemi (Post 700258)
I'd also like to note I cannot get it out of park, in the on setting with my foot on or off the brake...if that helps

The Brake Transmission Shift Interlock override access door is located under the center console cup holder mat. Pull up on the cup holder mat, remove the access door, and use a long slim tool such as a screwdriver to push down on the override lever; the shifter knob will be able to be moved.

08Hemi 10-21-2012 07:31 PM

Thanks guys...just tried the park override Nd put it into N and still nothing. I mean no clicking or anything...battery is for sure not the issue....looks like she's going to the dealer tomorrow morning :(

08Hemi 10-21-2012 07:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Milous (Post 700302)
The Brake Transmission Shift Interlock override access door is located under the center console cup holder mat. Pull up on the cup holder mat, remove the access door, and use a long slim tool such as a screwdriver to push down on the override lever; the shifter knob will be able to be moved.

How does that differ from the one on the shifter? In my manual it had me remove a small black cap and depress the button to shift it out of park...that worked but car still won't start...

Milous 10-21-2012 07:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 08Hemi (Post 700311)
How does that differ from the one on the shifter? In my manual it had me remove a small black cap and depress the button to shift it out of park...that worked but car still won't start...

2005-2010 is on shift bezel, 2011-up is under cupholder mat (i was thinking you had a WK2). Looks like you've tried everything you can, assuming you moved shifter around while trying to start. No idea what could be wrong.

2005JGC 10-22-2012 02:58 AM

If your in park at the shifter but the car still rolls and it won't start thats a good indication the trans is stuck in drive or reverse, what is causing the no start. There may be something broken on the shifter, the cable may be broken, there could be a valve body issue.

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk 2

08Hemi 10-22-2012 12:07 PM

Thanks guys! I had her towed to the dealer @ 5:45am today...I will keep everybody in the loop...I am as lost as you guys :(

I will mention the broken cable or valve body...and def tried wiggiling the shifter while starting, no luck.

Any ideas on whether this would be covered under my powertrain warranty? I have the one year they did the lifetime powertrain...if the tranny is broken? Cable? Valve body? Any insight would be VERY helpful

08Hemi 10-22-2012 04:27 PM

SOOOO the dealer just called...said "Intermitent Electrical Issues" with "past codes stored" and the FCM front control module needs to be replaced...

I have had "Intermitent Electrical Issues" sinced I bought the vehicle (shut off doing 80mph on the freeway), died within the first month of ownership etc...so why do they want to replace this now when I took it in over 3X for similar issues? PLEASE HELP...any insight is greatly appreciated...I will post the past codes once they send them to me. FYI - they want over $800 to replace the FCM

2005JGC 10-22-2012 05:02 PM

SSSoooo.... Im not sure if I read your complaint properly, the shifter was in "park" but the car still rolled. park is mechanical, so long as the shifter cable is adjusted, if the shifter is in park then the park pawl should be engaged and stopping the vehicle from rolling.